Sunday, November 1, 2020

For Week Ending Sunday, Nov. 8, 2020


Sunday, Nov. 1 (from Ron)...
Went trick or treating at the HRBT early this morning. A bunch of pesky little bluefish were driving me crazy until I found a 19-inch speckled trout and a real pole-bending, drag-screaming striper.




Tuesday, Nov. 3 (from Ron)...
Had a great evening back in the freshwater of my beloved Milldam Creek. Caught eight bass, a 14-inch chain pickerel, and a near-10-inch yellow perch. Was having so much fun I forgot to weigh several of them. Realized my error, though, and weighed one at 2-14 and measured another that went 19 inches, which likely weighed a bit over 3 lbs. A 16-incher and a few dinks rounded out the evening's take. All fell to the good ol' XTS Minnow and a couple on the Bomber Square A crankbait.

Thursday, Nov. 5 (from Ron)...
Searched Rudee Inlet this evening for something of length. Caught about six speckled trout, with one nice fish measuring 22.25 inches. Had never seen the inlet so crowded on a weekday. Speckled bite is HOT!



Friday, Nov. 6 (from Ken)...
Decided it was time for me to get back on the water and try to catch a fish or two. Fished from 9 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. and caught a total of five fish, including a pickerel, crappie and three small bass. The only baits that worked for me today were the jerkbait (primary) and spinnerbait. Missed a nice fish on the jerkbait first thing this morning, while working my way north of the West Neck Bridge, then was just beating up the water. Stopped about midway to the S-curve and ran back the other direction. However, it was about 12 noon before I picked up another bite. Baits that didn't work for me today included a Senko, chatterbait and crankbait. Found entirely by accident that a couple different retrieves worked with the jerkbait today. One, of course, was the conventional jerk, jerk, pause routine, but also had some luck by just slowly retrieving the jerkbait after letting it rest for a moment after splashdown. The water temp when I started this morning was about 59. Forgot to check it when I quit for the day, though. Not sure when I'll make my next trip. Don't plan to fish the Nov. 14 open tournament out of West Neck unless a partner materializes. However, Mark Ingram and I will be running that event, as a result of Wayne having had something come up. All hands should understand Mark and I only plan to host this one event. There are no plans for us to continue running any other tournaments.

Saturday, Nov. 7 (from Ron)...
Chasing the speckled trout today in the Elizabeth River. No crowds, but there was some pesky boat traffic. Caught about a half-dozen speckled trout, and one was a real drag-screamer. 'Twas perfect weather and a good day on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment