Monday, January 21, 2019

Improvements Underway at West Neck Marina


Had a gent ask me the other day what all the clearing was about at West Neck. I wasn't sure if he was talking about the old stuff or something new that I didn't know about yet, so yesterday afternoon I took a drive out that way. Needed to make sure my outboard was tilted down and the battery charger was hooked up anyway, so had a good excuse for going. However, I wasn't quite prepared for the 13-degree temperature drop that occurred while I was out that way.

As it turned out, there is a bunch of new stuff happening, starting with a lot more clearing of trees, brush, old fencing, and you-name-it, starting at the marina entrance and extending all the way up the road (toward the trailer park) to the property's end. Found myself having to dodge several piles of garbage that were still smoldering from burns that had been performed in recent days just to reach my storage shed.

Considering that I have a naturally inquiring mind, I decided to contact Gene and find out what's happening. Found out the property owner and marina manager have teamed up and hired Gene to do a whole bunch of stuff. Let me explain it this way: Gene isn't likely to have much free time on his hands this winter. Here's why.

Once all the clearing is complete, new surfacing is going to be laid down throughout the marina. New fencing also is slated to be installed along the stretch where all the trees and brush have been removed. Folks who store boats there should welcome the fact that new electrical outlets are planned down the whole stretch of new fencing, replacing the haphazard array of extension cords that have been the norm for many years. And, there's going to be some painting done, as well. Seems at least the side of the old boat barn facing West Neck Road is going to get one of the first coats of new paint, and who knows what else will get a facelift before all is said and done?

Come spring, we all should be looking at much improved surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment