Tuesday, January 9, 2018

For the Week Ending Sunday, Jan. 14, 2018



Tuesday, Jan. 9 (from Ron)...Couldn't find a launch site, yet. Decided to go and throw a few lures at the culvert near the draw bridge at North Landing. Didn't get a tap, but at least I scratched the itch. Hopefully, I can find a launch tomorrow.

Friday, Jan. 12 (from Ron)...NSTR: That's short for Nothing Significant to Report, which fits yesterday's trip to West Neck Marina perfectly. All the ice was gone, but it would seem the fish left with it. Tried to find something--anything--from 3 to 5:30 p.m. but couldn't arouse a single tap. The temperature was very nice, with the wind a bit on the stiff side, though. Next few days don't look good for me to try and figure out this winter pattern.

Saturday, Jan. 13 (from Ron)...When I left the house at 9:30 this morning, it was 60 degrees. An hour later, it was near 30, and the wind was howling, but I had to get out. Fished Milldam from 10:15 to 1:30. Water was very murky--chocolate milk, actually--and debris was all over the place. Nevertheless, I managed one bass and one li'l fat chain pickerel to break out of my slump. The Beetlespin was the ticket to my success today. Also lost two somethings on the same lure. Was nearly hypothermic by the time I recovered but happy I had something to show for my efforts.

Sunday, Jan. 14 (from Ron)...With the river gauge at about zero, the wind howling, and the temps low, thought I could find some fish and wind protection in Crystal Lake. The shady creek leading there was frozen over, so had to stay in Tecumseh, where the water was very, very murky, choppy (near whitecaps), and windy. Didn't get a tap for my 2.5-hour effort. I think the real-feel wind chill was in the high teens. It was impossible to cast and retrieve due to ice on the guides and reel spool. Transiting north against the wind was way too choppy, and the splashes were uncomfortable, to say the least. Heading south, I was tracking 2.8 mph without peddling,  just drifting with the wind. At least, it was sunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment