Tuesday, June 27, 2017

For the Week Ending Sunday, July 2, 2017



Monday, June 26...From Ron: Launched at West Neck Marina for a beautiful evening of fishing. Right off the bat, I landed a nice li'l 1-2 bass on the Pop-R. A few casts later, I caught a 14 oz. bass, and as I was lipping him, he got the best of me. While the Pop-R was hanging off my thumb, I managed to get him unhooked, weighed and released before I had to deal with the drama. Cut the line and called my spouse for wire-cutter delivery (note to self: keep wire cutters in the yak). My intention was to cut the hook and push it through the skin. On my way back to the ramp, a friendly boater provided assistance. He wrapped the hook with a piece of braid, I turned my head, and one quick tug later, I was back to casting after some first aid (bacitracin and a band aid). I owe the friendly boater my thanks, but I forgot to get a name. It was inevitable that what was about my 306th bass of the year should get the better of me. At least it wasn't on a Whopper Plopper. The evening wasn't a total loss. I went on to catch a few more dinks and handled them with a new appreciation. Ended up with three dinks and the 1-2. Lost a nice one to a branch wrap.

Tuesday, June 27...From Ken: After being out of action for more than a week, I was anxious to get back on the water. Turns out that I evidently picked a good day. When all was said and done, I had boated a total of 16 bass, including 8 dinks and 8 keepers (a 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, 1-10, 1-11, two 1-12s, and a 2-12). Only one of the fish came on a Whopper Plopper. The remainder fell for a BJ Jr. I also had about a half-dozen blowups today in which the fish didn't get connected. I caught everything in West Neck, fishing both directions. I feel whipped from my 8-hour adventure, but I'm all smiles. Haven't had a day like this in a long while. Thankfully, I had time to clean up the boat and tuck it in the shed before the 30-minute deluge hit this afternoon.

Tuesday, June 27...From Ron: Went out on a limb and purchased a new lure: a Z man Pop ShadZ, white,  rigged with a 5-0 weightless off set worm hook (three pack, $4.99) for my evening trip to Beggar's Bridge. Before I reached the grass, threw regular Pop-R and caught a few crappie, as well as two small bass. Decided to try the Z man Pop ShadZ, and first impressions are good. With it being weedless and snagproof, I was able to get it right up in the shoreline and over the grass. Caught six more bass and lost a bunch because I kept forgetting it is a plastic and I have to be patient with the hookset. Lost a bowfin as well. When fished with sharp rod twitch, pops just like a Pop-R, softer rod twitch gives a walking retrieve. Very durable and think I will be using them again. My bass included 3 dinks, plus a 1-0, 1-1, 1-3, 1-15, and 2-9. Really enjoying the cooler weather, and the gauge was a nice 2.3. Water a bit murky and there was a good amount of surface debris, but the bass didn't seem to mind. Thumb shows no sign of infection, yet.

Wednesday, June 28...From Ron: Launched at Milldam Creek from Blackwater Road about 6 p.m. The crappie and white perch were aggressively biting throughout my 2.5-hour trip. Caught eight crappie on just about everything I threw, as well as several white perch. Baits that I used included the Pop-R, Zman Pop Shadz, beetlespin and Whopper Plopper. Another good trip with the Z Man Pop ShadZ, which accounted for five bass and a couple crappie. The bass included a dink, 1-2, 1-4, 1-12, and 1-15. Lost even more to short strikes. Grass is getting thick in Snake Creek, especially with the lower gauge. Another good weather trip.

Thursday, June 29...From Ron: Launched and fished at Lake Tecumseh with Alex, starting about 5:30 pm. First half hour looked promising when I caught a 2-7 trolling a Whopper Plopper. Soon after, Alex caught a 2-14 while throwing a jig to a cypress base. Then we had a lull for the next few hours, only managing  a 1-8 on the Pop ShadZ, and Alex caught two dinks on the Z man Pop ShadZ. Think we caught the tail end of the bite earlier. Water was very murky, and it was windy. Grass has not come up as expected, and the lily pads are not as prolific as I thought they would be. Been a long time since I fished Tecumseh as Loon Court launch is closed. Launched off Bull Pup Road, with the dreadful little dirt road, very high grass, mud ruts, and all with the kayak carts.

Friday, June 30...From Ken: My fishin' lesson today was this: Don't let your big fish of the day get into the trolling motor, or you can kiss it bye. My sloppy rod work, coupled with getting ahead of myself, left me looking pretty foolish. I needed that fish to fill out a limit of keepers but had to settle for only four: a 1-0, two 1-5s, and a 2-9. Once again, the only lure that worked for me was the BJ Jr. The one that got away looked to be about 3 lbs. Unlike Tuesday, I really had to work for the fish I boated today, which included those four keepers, three dinks, and a small white perch. Most of the fish came out of West Neck, but I also picked up a few in Pocaty. All my fish came off the main creeks or right at the mouth of a cove. Fished a couple of coves today but didn't have even a smell in either one.

Sunday, July 2...From Ron: Launched at Blackwater Trading post today and made the long peddle to that unnamed creek. A good long trip was what I needed (if for no other reason than to test the repaired rudder from Friday's outing). Launched about 5:30 a.m. and recovered about 9:30. Similar to what Charlie reported last year, the bigger ones were closer to the entrance; the further in I ventured, the smaller they got. Caught a 1-3, 1-8, 2-4, 2-6, and 6 dinks. Most fell to the Pop ShadZ, but when the wind picked up around 8 a.m., I started throwing the Whopper Plopper and managed a few more. Grass isn't too thick in there yet. Am really enjoying that Pop ShadZ. Only drawback I can see is that it ends up a foot or two above the hook after a catch, and you then have to rethread it. Very durable though.

Sunday, July 2...From Skip: Met Mitch at 6 a.m., and we fished 'til 11:30. Went out of West Neck and up past Godfrey's Creek. We had a limit early and ended up catching a total between 15 and 20. We caught them on everything, including the double Whopper Plopper, but no really big ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment