Sunday, July 3, 2016

If You Could Fish Just One Lure, What Would It Be?


That question popped into my head a little earlier today, and before it disappeared, I decided to do a little online research into the topic.

I initially checked a bunch of different forums, where there was very little agreement at all. As I expanded my research, though, I found a couple of "major league" bass anglers whose choices and reasons expressed for those choices proved to be considerably similar.

The first angler I stumbled across is Babe Winkelman (left), who readily admits his answer to this question has changed over the years. "In my younger days," he said, "my top choice was a purple worm rigged Texas-style. Later, I vowed the jig-worm was the eternal choice. Then, I veered to a tandem, willow-blade, chartreuse spinnerbait, and then back to a jig-worm."

Winkelman's choice changed yet again in February 2012, following a remarkable day he had fishing one bait--a black spinnerbait, with a single, pounded-copper Colorado blade.

Why a spinnerbait? "First and foremost, bass love to hit these baits," he explained. "The beefy profile; flashing, thumping blade; and pulsating skirt team up to create a 1-2-3 punch that triggers both reflexive and feeding strikes.

"Spinnerbaits also are incredibly easy to use. They cast well, swim through heavy cover, and can be fished anywhere in the water column, fast or slow, steady or erratic. You can work them high like a topwater lure, slow-roll them low to bump bottom, and even drop them vertically in and around cover. They simply are one of the most versatile bass baits around."

Why black? "Like all bass fishermen, I have a full spectrum of spinnerbait colors in my arsenal, but black is a go-to color because it silhouettes so well against the sky above. Bass are designed for upward hunting; the positioning of their eyes tells us this. And their affinity to attack topwater targets proves it.

"As Mr. Largemouth lurks at an ambush point in shadowy, heavy cover, he's in tune to potential meals overhead. It's no surprise that baitfish evolved to have white underbellies. The white protects them since it blends in well with the bright sky above (when viewed from below). Black, on the other hand, forms a crisp silhouette that's easily seen."

Why a single blade? "A lot of bass anglers will argue with me on this one. Some guys swear by tandem-blade spinnerbaits. Don't get me wrong; I love them, too. They're superior when running the bait just below the surface because two blades give the lure more lift, so you can keep it higher with a slower retrieve. Two blades also push more water when you're bulging the bait below the surface.

"But a single blade gives you more versatility than a multi-blade spinnerbait. You still can bulge it below the surface. It's better for slow-rolling in deep water. And here's my favorite reason: You can bring the bait to the edge of a weed break, pocket, stump, or other cover, and let it free-fall. The single blade makes the spinnerbait descend like a helicopter, and bass love to pounce on it while it's falling."

Why pounded copper? "Frankly, I can't give you a scientific reason why I prefer copper to silver, gold or painted blades. All I know is that, from years of personal experience, black and copper seem to make a magic combinaiton. As for the pounded texture, each dimple in the blade imparts extra flash, which usually never hurts."

Why a Colorado blade? "Thump, thump, thump--that's why.The Colorado blade's stout shape rings the vibration dinner bell on bass. Indiana blades and willows do a great job, too, but for my money, the Colorado blade tickles a bass' lateral line better than the others... . No bass tacklebox is complete without a simple, black, single-blade spinnerbait," concluded Winkelman.

Another big-time angler who echoes those sentiments is none other than Bill Dance (left). As he once noted, "If I ever were to end up somewhere remote--in the famed Middle of Nowhere--and could have just one lure, it would be a black 3/8-ounce Booyah spinnerbait with a silver No. 5 Colorado blade."

Why black? "That color, or even a shade of it, holds its identity better than any other color, regardless of whether the water is muddy, murky, dingy, or clear. The same is true in bright conditions or low light...day or night. Black always is much more visible to bass. I know because I have caught a ton of bass on these baits in nearly countless conditions."

Also consider this. "Bass sense vibrations and scents in water, both of which attract the fish to its prey, but the final straw is sight. They have got to see the bait or lure. I mean, I may smell a steak on my neighbor's grill. And I may even hear it sizzling, but unless I see it, I am not going to get a bite.

"Seriously, sight is the predominant sense for bass. Believe me, they can see anything pretty good, even in a muddy environment, but I think they can see black best. At least, they see it much better than white, chartreuse or other colors."

Why the 3/8-ounce size? "All the other weights for spinnerbaits have their place, but 3/8 ounce is more universal. It casts better, and you have more control than with the other traditional weights for spinnerbaits."

Why the silver No. 5 Colorado blade? "It provides more flash. Silver reflects more light than any other shade or finish on a blade. And the Colorado design offers more resistance in the water and, therefore, more vibration than a willowleaf or Indiana-style blade.

"You also can work a Colorado blade much slower. You can slow-roll it, free-fall it, etc. You can do many things when working this bait, and all of them slow, and that's often what's needed, especially during tough fishing conditions. Again, I have caught a lot of fish with this bait, including times when there was ice in the water."

Also note, however, that Dance never said this was his "favorite" bait. Instead, he just said, "If I only have one choice, and I need a lure that is most likely to get bit--no matter the conditions--I gotta go with the black Booyah spinnerbait in this one style and weight. Call it Ol' Reliable, if you want."

Many reading this probably are saying, "Both of you are out of your mind. A white tandem willow is much better than a single-bladed black spinnerbait."

Disagreement, though, is one of the things that makes fishing so great. We all have our favorite baits, presentations, species, lakes, etc., as it should be. What really matters in the final analysis, however, is that, regardless of our differences, we all still can wish one another "Tight Lines!" and mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment