Wednesday, July 27, 2016

All-Topwater Bite Still Alive and Well



I had planned to fish Pocaty today, but when I got there, duckweed was visible as far as the eye could see, and I didn't feel like having to clean that stuff off my boat this afternoon, so I decided to spend yet another day in Albright's.

I ended up boating another nine bass today, with the biggest the 2-4 in this photo. My last two fish on the day came a few minutes after 2 p.m., when the water temperature was reading 95 degrees. Despite those conditions, the fish jumped all over my topwater baits.

Besides the nine I got to see and touch, I had one come unbuttoned on the way to the boat, plus at least six more that blew up on my lure but didn't get it. Also got lucky enough to have one bass bust a pod of baitfish, and while he was chowin' down, I dropped my topwater in the midst of the activity, and he immediately nailed it.

Saw something while I was in Albright's today that was a "first" for me in all the years I've been fishing that creek. I just had arrived in the back stretches when I heard what sounded like a pretty good sized boat coming, and I looked up just in time to see a guy coming out of the back in a boat with a flying bridge. This guy had been all the way back to where the creek narrows down to a canal. I know that for a fact because the water back there was nothing short of a mudhole. What he was doing back that far is anyone's guess.

I reckon it goes without saying that there weren't many boat trailers in the parking lot when I got back this afternoon. I saw only one other besides mine. A lot of folks are laying low while these hot days persist, but given the fun I'm currently having, I'm going to continue trying to get in one or two trips per week. With a tourney Saturday, I have no more trips planned this week, though, other than to gas my boat and make sure management knows to expect us come o-dark-30 Saturday morning.

Tight Lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment