Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Not Just a Skunk, But a Yellow One, At That



One look this morning at the mudhole that was West Neck Creek quickly made me change my plans. I had figured I would spend the day there but don't usually do well in muddy water, so decided to run to Albright's instead and fish the front end. The water in Albright's wasn't perfect, but it was a darned sight better than West Neck.

As things worked out, however, I would have been just as well off to have stayed in West Neck and saved the gas. At the end of the day, a skunk...is a skunk...is a skunk. Need I say more? The inactivity might have lulled me to sleep, had it not been for some random strikes that came throughout the day. I had one hit on a crankbait, one hit on a jerkbait, one hit on a spinnerbait, and one hit on a topwater. In each case, though, I only got air when I swung, coupled with that telltale swirl in the water.

The water temp as I motored out the channel from the ramp about 8 o'clock this morning read 49 degrees, compared to 64 when I returned about 3 o'clock. The level was low, and it fluctuated a little bit throughout the day but, at day's end, was nearly the same as when I launched this morning. I also couldn't help noticing that the day's improving air temperature had brought out several more anglers than greeted me early this morning. Only one other rig was in the parking lot at that time, compared to five or six when I recovered my boat.

The only thing today's trip did for me was to confirm an area I likely won't be fishing during this coming Saturday's tournament. I'm waiting to make my decision about that until I see how much water those predicted strong southerly winds are going to pump into the creek between now and then. The water will be high--of that, I'm certain--unless something changes.

I didn't talk to another soul on the water today out of West Neck. Had a note earlier from Charlie, though, and he had a five-bass limit that went better than 13 pounds. Caught the fish on a variety of baits in the deep holes of bends.

With that, think I'll head to the shower and try to get rid of some of this pollen I picked up today. I'm looking a tad yellow, if you know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment