Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Any Kind of Topwater Day Is a Good Day



At least, that's the way I feel. It's always nice to catch a bass, regardless of what kind of bait you're using, but when you catch one on a topwater lure, that's extra special. And that's exactly what happened today while splitting my time between West Neck and Albright's.

My watch showed exactly 9:20 a.m. as I brought this first and best bass of the day into the boat. The 1-lb. 6-oz. fish hit a popper I just had worked across a submerged log in shallow water. And from that point forward, I kept using the popper intermittently with a Bomber squarebill.

The Bomber yielded a fish while I was working it across the mouth of a cove, and I caught one more bass and lost another on the popper before my day ended about 2:15. I had some early signs the topwater bite might be on--there were several swirls along the first stretch of shoreline I decided to try.

The water temperature when I started this morning was 54, and it had moved up to 68 by the time I quit. Several vehicles were in the parking lot at West Neck when I came in this afternoon, but the only person I talked to before leaving was my friend, Skip. He, too, went out today and had tried to repeat his success of last Saturday down in Blackwater, but the fish weren't cooperating today. Skip said he didn't put a single fish in the boat.

Neither one of us has any plans to go out again this week until the tournament this coming Saturday. Given the dramatic change in weather the forecasters are calling for then, I have to believe whatever bite we had today likely will have changed. That thought, however, won't dissuade me from trying to catch a few on topwater.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, top water no less. I always thought they were Fall time frame lures, but then again, I am still a novice.

    ReplyDelete