Monday, February 29, 2016

Those Weather Dudes Still Can't Get It Right



The last thing I heard this morning before heading to the river was that the winds were supposed to run 10-15 mph today. As it worked out, 15 was the low end, and 30, with higher gusts, would have been about right for the high end. However, I had come dressed for the dance, so I wasn't going to be deterred.

The first thing out of the frying pan this morning, I saw a young man who quite obviously was endowed with more testosterone than he had brains, 'cause he had put his white SUV in the ditch just before I turned into the marina. He was pacing the parking lot, with cellphone in hand, which told me he was OK, so I headed on up to my storage shed to get the boat ready to launch. A wrecker finally showed and pulled the victim out of the ditch, but he decided to drive away in his vehicle.

My first stop this morning was Straight Creek, but the wind was so bad there, I didn't stay but an hour or so before heading to the back of Albright's (where the water temp, as I would learn, was running about 4 degrees warmer). I was navigating the No Wake Zone in front of what used to be Capt. George's when I looked up and saw a couple of craft coming in the distance at high speed. As the boats neared, I could see they both were camouflaged and loaded with Marines. Both craft blew off the No Wake Zone as though it didn't even exist. They flew past me and still was getting it up through the bridge and on south. Must be nice to be so privileged.

Once I had stopped bouncing from their wakes, I collected myself and headed on to Albright's. There still was plenty of wind in the back end, but it was manageable, and that's all I really wanted.

I finally gave up on the chatterbait and my jerkbait and settled in for the long haul with a square-billed crankbait. Before I called it quits about 2:15, I had boated two bass, both of which tipped the scales at 1-5. One came at 12 noon straight up (the one pictured here), the other at 12:30. Didn't feel or see another fish after that.

Met up with my friend, Skip, when I got back to the marina this afternoon. He, too, had been out today, getting a little time on his outboard and trying to find a couple fish. He had worked his way up above the bridge, but had nothing to show for it besides a swirl right at the boat.

It was a lifesaver having him at the dock. The wind was angling across the ramp, which made it tricky, at best. With his help, though, I wasn't long at all getting my boat on the trailer.

We both are going to take a look at conditions in the morning and decide whether we want to make another trip. I can assure you that, if the winds are like they were today, we'll both do an about face and head back home.

Had an email from Ron Ameika when I got home today, telling me that he and his son, Alex, had a very long day on the water Sunday. They linked up with a friend in Albright's and fished for about 4 hours.

The only fish of the day, a pickerel, was caught by the friend. Ron and Alex tried several baits, but nothing was working for them. Like Skip and me today, they had lots of wind Sunday.

In closing, I want to share this photo Charlie sent me yesterday. He had been out driving around and stopped to shoot this at the entrance to the ramp area at what was Capt. George's. While making his rounds, Charlie stopped and talked to three different fishermen Sunday: one at PAWMA, one at Mill Landing Road, and one at Beggar's Bridge. Said Charlie, "Nobody even had had a tap."

No comments:

Post a Comment