Wednesday, August 12, 2015

'Twas a Day for Old-Timers


There were three of us old-timers beating up the water today: Jimmy, Skip and me. While my friends sought their fortunes in West Neck all day, I gave up after two hours of nothing and headed south to fish the back end of Albright's. I figured, with the high water, I should be able to find a few in the shallows, and I did.








Jimmy ended the day with a total of five keepers in West Neck, including a 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-1, and this 2-11.














Skip, meanwhile, boated three bass. His best one, shown here, weighed in at 1-7. And he caught it directly across from where I stopped fishing in West Neck to head south. I just had told him I couldn't find any fish in the creek, when he launched a Senko up next to a tree, and this bass grabbed it.










This 1-8 was my best of six bass. I also had four dinks and a 1-3. All my fish fell for a white spinnerbait--one that my buddy, Wayne, made for me a lot of years ago.





Today very well may have been a Pop-R day somewhere, but this much I can assure you: It wasn't what the fish seemed to want in West Neck. Jimmy and I both gave it more than a fair chance this morning but to no avail. One common theme existed for all three of us old-timers today; from start to finish, we were catching our fish off wood.

Tomorrow is going to be an off day, but Jimmy and I--maybe Skip, too, I didn't think to ask him before leaving today--plan to get back on the water Friday and see if we can find a few more fish. We want to take advantage of this stretch of nice weather while we can. I won't know my game plan until I hit the water Friday. Visibility and level will dictate my choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment