Saturday, August 8, 2015

Three Teams Finish the Day in Double Digits


It was raining on the parade of 15 anglers in eight boats as they shoved away from the boat basin at West Neck early this morning and headed to their favorite fishing holes. And the rain stuck around for a good portion of the morning, but that didn't prevent everyone from bringing fish to the scales for our 2 p.m. weigh-in.




Logging their second 1st-place finish in as many tournaments was the team of (from left) Don Carter and Rob Peppers. Their five-fish limit tipped the scales at 15.74 lbs. Also for the second straight time, Rob captured big-fish honors with a 4.19-lb. bass.






Finishing in 2nd place was the team of (from left) Al and Chris Napier, who weighed a five-fish sack totaling 13.74 lbs., anchored by a 4.04-pounder.








Claiming 3rd-place honors was this young man, Grayson Kinzel, and his dad, Mark. Their limit came in at 10.03 lbs. They didn't weigh a big fish, though.








Walking away as mystery-weight winners was the team of brothers, Jake and Jesse Milligan, who, unfortunately, weren't available for photographs. Their total weight for two fish, after a 0.25 penalty for one dead fish, was 3.01. That figure came closest to the weight drawn, which was 4.35.

Here is how all the other contestants finished the day:

     * The team of Mike Miller and Chris Fretard, five fish, 8.61 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * The team of John Matyiko and his grandson, Hayden Capper, five fish, 7.40 lbs. total weight, 2.19-lb. big fish.
     * Gary Coderre, four fish, 6.78 lbs. total weight, 2.60-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Randy Conkle and Bob Glass, five fish, 6.16 lbs. total weight, 2.26-lb. big fish.

Today's overall weight for a total of 36 bass was 71.47 lbs., with an average weight of 1.98 lbs.

Two more anglers qualified for our two-day season-ending Classic contest by virtue of having fished a total of four regular-season tournaments. Those anglers are Don Carter and John Matyiko. We now have a total of 23 who have completed these requirements.

Congratulations to all of today's winners, and thanks to everyone who came out, despite the return to less-than-stellar weather conditions.

For planning purposes, our next event is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 22nd, from safe light (probably about 6 a.m.) to 2 p.m. I hope you can join us.


Reckon you'll have to label me a wimp, because I just couldn't bring myself to participate in today's contest. While talking to a good friend of mine early this morning, who likewise had decided to sit this one out, he made the comment, "If the rain had held off until after I got on the water, I would have fished today." Those sentiments are the way I feel, too.

There once was a day when I never let the weather deter me from spending a day on the water, regardless of how bad it got--before, during or after. I used to spend many days on places like Lake Anna chipping the ice out of my guides just so I could cast. However, that's not the case today.

I simply sent the fellas fishing this morning, then retreated to the confines of my ol' van for a little additional shut-eye. While they were fighting the rain and wind, I was snoozing... and feeling an occasional drip hit my knee. You see, my van leaks a little on the driver's side.

No comments:

Post a Comment