Monday, December 22, 2014

If Only Ol' Dewey Could See Us Now


Maybe, in a way, he can. There isn't a single time I cross the West Neck Bridge or run West Neck Creek and turn south on the North Landing River that I don't sense his presence. I've even, on a few occasions, audibly said, "Good morning, my old friend," especially when I see the sun just peeking over the horizon in the distance and casting its familiar, awe-inspiring glow on the water. And more than once, I've glanced down to find goose bumps forming on my arms and felt the hackles on my neck tingling ever so slightly.

If he indeed is present in some fashion, I know beyond all doubt this good ol' West Virginia boy is smiling from ear to ear as he sees the fruits of his labors growing every year, with regards to our annual tourney statistics.

As I reported some time ago, an angler who wanted to walk away with the 1st-place prize money from one of our tourneys in 2010 only needed a sack of fish weighing an average of 10.84 lbs. That same angler in 2011 needed a bag weighing an average of 11.23 lbs., and by 2012, the required average had increased to 13.17 lbs. For the 2013 season, the average winning 1st-place weight had bumped up to 13.94 lbs., and in 2014, you needed a bag averaging 14.56 lbs. to lay claim to 1st place.

We finally broke the 20-lb. barrier in 2013, when the team of Mike Evans and Jeff Garnes weighed a limit of five fish on April 23, that tipped the scales at 20.47 lbs., anchored by a 5.70-lb. bass.

This feat then was repeated in 2014, when the duo of Mike Miller and Chris Fretard (pictured here, l-r), brought a sack of five fish to the scales on Sept. 6, weighing 20.26 lbs., anchored by a 7.47-lb. bass. The only reason they didn't win the 2014 Seasonal Lunker Award with this fish was because they opted not to participate in that category.





Ronnie McLaughlin (pictured left), instead, claimed the Seasonal Lunker Award with a 7.15-lb. bass he caught in the 2014 season opener on March 22.

Continuing that "up, up and away" trend in 2014 was our Angler of the Year competition, which saw Mark London (pictured right) eclipse the 2013 total of 146.92 lbs. set by Bob Glass by more than 21 lbs. Mark finished 2014 with a total of 168.35 lbs.

Perhaps I'm sticking my neck out, but I'm predicting the 2015 season will find us recording not only an average 1st-place weight of better than 15 lbs., but also the first-ever 8-pounder to be weighed on a tournament day. And along with that, I have to believe we'll see an even bigger final weight tally for Angler of the Year.

I wish every angler who participates in the 2015 Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tourney Series a stunningly successful year--for your own self-satisfaction and in tribute to the grand master who started it all. OOhRah! Tight Lines! and anything else that motivates you to do your best.

No comments:

Post a Comment