Sunday, September 7, 2014

An Angler With Many Head Coverings








Most of the time when you see him, Skip Schaible has a ball cap similar to the one he's wearing in this photo.








When he's clowning around, only the good Lord knows what he may be wearing on his head, as evidenced in this photo.








Here he's wearing a Frog Toggs bandana, which, by his own admission, makes him "look goofier than normal... but really keeps me cool," as he related to me in an email.








The one thing about Skip that never changes, though, is his friendly smile. He's also a hapless kidder. Yesterday morning, for example, just seconds after I had reminded all the tourney contestants about our 2:30 weigh-in, he looked at me with a most serious face and asked, "You did say 3 o'clock, right?" before breaking into a wide smile.

As I looked at these photos of Skip in various head attire, I couldn't help remembering my old Navy boss, the late-Rear Adm. William J. Crowe, a native Oklahoman who was Commander Middle East Force in the 1970s when I served on his staff. He, too, had a collection of hats and helmets--983, according to most authoritative sources.

I'm happy I've known both men during my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment