Thursday, June 15, 2017

From My Rearview Mirror


Quite by accident, I stumbled across a 38-year-old The Washington Post article (see https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1979/05/20/back-bay-unbeatable-for-going-bass-fishing/ca3272a2-b327-4e06-86b5-106795356532/?utm_term) the other day by Angus Phillips, the Post's outdoor writer for 35 years.

Titled "Back Bay Unbeatable for Going Bass Fishing," the article talked at length about "Virginia's 25,000-acre pond behind the dunes." As I was reading, I couldn't help thinking about my late bewhiskered pal, Dewey Mullins, who often mentioned some of the same people referenced in this article.

One name not mentioned among the group, however, was "John, the barber," whom Dewey often referred to as a good fishin' buddy of his. John was with him that September 1979 day when Dewey landed his 13-3 citation-sized bass from Back Bay.

Since I already was in a research mode anyway, I decided to go a little farther and see what I could find out about his buddy.

Turns out that John, the barber's full name was John Wesley Thornton. He lived in Virginia Beach for 60 years before his death on Jan. 9, 2010, at age 81. Like Dewey, he, too, was a Navy veteran. And he owned John's Barber Shop in London Bridge, where, according to the obituary, "Many conversations took place, but most topics revolved around bass fishing, John's favorite sport!"

For just a moment, I was taken back in time to those countless days I spent in the West Neck Marina Store, where Dewey took center stage, regaling me and others with his tales of bygone fishing trips to Back Bay and other places.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I, for one, truly miss my old friend. He left a hole that, as far as I'm concerned, never will be filled again. Why? Because you simply can't replace a genuine one-of-a-kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment