Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Nearly a Repeat of Yesterday


That's what today's trip was. I had set out this morning with what I thought was a plan to make up for yesterday's dismal showing. I had done some research online last evening and felt I could go back to Blackwater today and catch some of those fish that had dodged us yesterday.

After three hours without a serious bite, though, I gave up on my best-laid plans and headed to Albright's on a quest to find at least one fish. It was nearly straight-up 12 noon when I boated the bass pictured here. It tipped the scales at 1-10 and gave me hope that maybe the rest of my day might be worthwhile. Alas, however, that was not in the cards.

This fish fell for a bang-o-lure, and several more fish swirled at the same bait, but none of them managed to connect. I decided to call a halt to my day at 2:30 and head back to the marina. By that time, I was feeling the full effects of spending back-to-back days on the water and needed to save what little energy was left in my tank for getting the boat cleaned up and put away.

When I reached the ramp, a fella in a Nitro was just leaving. He explained that he's a dedicated frog fisherman, and that's what he was throwing as I looked his way just before pulling my boat clear of the ramp.

Bottom line: In two days of fishing, I'm no closer to nailing down what I'll be throwing in this coming Saturday's tournament than I was before we launched yesterday. The only thing I know for sure is that there's a lot of lures in my tacklebox that, for whatever reason, don't seem to be doing me any good. Perhaps conditions will have changed by Saturday morning, and some of the lures will put at least a few bass in the boat. I want to believe that hope springs eternal.

 
I received an email note from my friend, Doc Murdock, today (Thursday, Sept. 4). It seems his day got off to a bad start--a dead boat battery--but he wasn't about to let that stop him. "I decided to troll around," he said. He eased out to the West Neck Bridge, where he boated a 12-inch, 12-oz. bass but lost another one after he had hooked it. "I also had six followers, with at least three of them 2 lbs. or better," said Doc.

No comments:

Post a Comment