Thursday, July 3, 2014

All Is Well With Yours Truly

Earlier today, I had a friend stop me and ask, "Have you been doing any fishing? Are you OK?" He went on to explain that he was concerned because he hasn't seen any new posts on my blog. So I decided to put up a little note "to explain myself," for lack of a better way of putting it.

The simple truth as to why I haven't posted anything about my fishing trips is that I haven't been on the water once since our tourney last Saturday. There are a couple of reasons involved. First and foremost, I just don't fare so well any more when the temps and humidity reach current levels. Second, I've been taking care of some things around the house. Third, I've been trying to get organized for a couple of future blog articles.

And there's even more. On the heels of some recent research I did, I've been debating whether I want to pursue an altogether new venture. However, I'm not opening my mouth to the general populace about this idea until I've had an opportunity to discuss it with an old "sounding board" who has yet to ever let me launch an ill-advised scheme. If he tells me to forget it, that's exactly what will happen, and none of you ever will know what I was thinking about. I don't mind a little public ridicule from time to time, but I pick and choose, too.

The one thing I will say a little bit about is the blog story that likely will get posted sometime next week. Thanks to a long-time friend, I learned about a fella and his bride who have transformed an old fishing boat into something to be justifiably proud of. I anticipate having access to an abundant supply of photos to help tell this story, and I firmly believe it's going to be popular across a broad segment of my readers. If my plans hold together, I will be interviewing the fella and his bride this Sunday and picking up the photo disk they have ready for me. Then it will be up to me to put everything together.

Some of you probably also remember the first in what I had hoped was going to be a regular series on my blog that I initiated last year. It was titled "A Day on the Water With..." My first, and to date only, subject was Mark Ingram. Shortly after doing that story, I was in discussions with a couple other anglers, but they and I have had continuing scheduling problems for first one reason and then another, so I'm planning to try and get hooked up with another subject while I work on those problems. That particular inaugural story was one of the most popular to date, so it's in my best interests to try and get the series back on track, then keep it going.

There's yet another blog story I've had in the works for months now but can't do anything with until I get the photos I've been promised, as well as the answers to some questions I posed to family members some time ago. And, as if that isn't enough to keep me busy, I've also been trying to work on the first of a couple or so books I promised myself I was going to write when I retired for the second time better than four years ago. I spend many hours in front of this computer screen during the course of any given week--perhaps as many as when I was working fulltime as an editor. As my wife frequently reminds me, "I sure get tired of looking at the back of your bald head." There are times when I think she really considers throwing something at me to get my attention.

In any event, this is my long-winded way of letting all of you know I'm fine. I just haven't been to the water in several days and truthfully don't know that I'll get there again before the next scheduled tourney on Saturday the 12th. At the moment, I just want Hurricane Arthur to hurry up and get past us and on out to sea. Here's wishing everyone a safe passage.

Oh, and incidentally, if any of you have fishing reports or other ideas for some stories, send 'em my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment