Thursday, July 17, 2014

Nottoway Report Better Than West Neck Report

Jerry called West Neck Marina last evening and heard that the water was high and muddy. That's all it took to convince him and his friend, Eddie, to pack up and head to the Nottoway River this morning.

Their outing netted a total of six bass, with the two best ones weighing 2-2 and 1-12. The bass in this photo is the 1-12.

Jerry and Eddie hadn't been to the Nottoway in more than a year, so they weren't sure what kind of conditions to expect there. What they found was low, muddy water, but there was a bite, and that's usually all it takes to satisfy a bass angler who is just out for the pure enjoyment of his chosen sport, which was the case with Jerry and Eddie today.

While I did find muddy water in the ramp area of West Neck this morning when I launched, several areas where I dropped the trolling motor looked just fine. One cove that I tried out had exceptionally clean water, but the best I could say about the bite as a whole today is that it was slow.

This 1-14 was the best of only two bass that I boated today. Both fish fell for an extra-shallow-running crankbait. I tried a spinnerbait, chatterbait, medium-running crankbait, some soft plastics, and a topwater--all to no avail.

By the time I launched this morning, the north winds had blowed long enough to start lowering the water level, but there still was plenty left at day's end. I plan another trip tomorrow but will be running south then. I probably would have gone that direction this morning, if it hadn't been for the fact I got a late start and didn't feel like mixing it up with the big boys that I heard running the river.

With any degree of luck, I should have something to talk about in another short post tomorrow evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment