Sunday, May 5, 2024

So, You Lose a Big 'Un Today...

There's always tomorrow...or is there?

"Losing big fish seems to be something bass anglers are forever fascinated with," said bass pro Gerald Swindle (left). "That's just part of the drama of this sport.

"Missing a huge bite or losing a giant at the boat during the heat of battle, with several hundred thousand dollars--or possibly a career--on the line makes for dramatic storylines in tournament fishing.

"As pros, we try to put the missed opportunities behind us and move forward. But once we get back to weigh-in, people always want to know: 'Did ya miss any?'"

That's how Swindle introduced some "big ones" that he has missed over the years, which still haunt him to this day. It started with missing his granddaughter's 4th birthday, noting that "she reminds me of it frequently."

And several years ago, he was at Smith Mountain Lake, competing in a derby while his daughter was getting ready for her prom.

Said Swindle, "I drove like hell to get back home so I could stand next to my wife, and we both could see her off to the prom, but I didn't make it in time for that once-in-a-lifetime moment."

Then there was a very special Father's Day celebration the family put together for his dad.

"I heard over the phone it was spectacular, and the only thing that would have made it absolutely perfect was if I had been there," Swindle explained. "But I was at Kentucky Lake, trying to crank up a check.

"And, yes, I've missed Mother's Days, too. One in particular, I was at Lake Havasu. I tried to send my love to my mom through the mail, but the candy melted on the front porch--along with my heart because I couldn't be there.

"Speaking of my mom," he continued, "she was in a hospital having heart-bypass surgery, while I was driving to Oneida for a tournament. I really shouldn't have missed that one, but I did."

The biggest one Swindle missed, however, happened on March 14, 2008. That's the day he was stuck in a lock on Lake Toho, desperately trying to get back to weigh-in, and then get back home to see his brother, Tony, one more time.

"As I sat in that lock," he explained, "the phone rang with the news I couldn't bear to hear: My brother had passed away that morning after a brutal battle with pancreatic cancer. Yeah, that one was a giant.

"When I started pursuing my pro fishing dream 20 years ago, the only big ones I missed were fish. But with fishing, you can look forward to getting another bite to make up for a missed opportunity. In life, however, there are some missed opportunities that you never will get a chance to do over. Those are the real big ones I've missed that I truly never will forget."

I can relate to how Swindle felt...no, not because I was off fishing somewhere, but because I was serving in the U.S. Navy or fulfilling my duties as a member of the Civil Service. While I did make trips home during all those 48 working years, I also missed a number of big events, including my folks' 50th wedding-anniversary party and both daughters' marriage ceremonies...to name only a few. I've also only seen each of my daughters once face-to-face in all the years since they were married. I receive occasional emails and phone calls from each, but that's the extent of our relationship.

Reckon there's more truth than fiction in that saying, "You reap what you sow."

No comments:

Post a Comment