Saturday, October 31, 2020

Why Do We Bass Fish?


In the words of Don Mc, the fella who sent me this photo, "We do it for fun...and to enjoy the beauty of an early morning scene like this one."

As one writer online noted, however, fishing is a lot more than that. He suggested that "it's about the closest you can get to physically experiencing poetry. It's a pursuit based on contemplation and solitude that involves an appreciation of the elements. It's a game of chance, hope, escapism...a step into the murky waters of the unknown. It's the perfect symbiosis of man and nature, and there is little difference between the angler setting forth on a misty dawn and the poet staring at a blank page. Both are hoping for greatness but will settle for a brief silvery flash of the transcendental brilliance that lies beneath the surface."

That statement reminded me of a thoughtful poem I'd once read by the late fishing-industry veteran, legendary writer, angler, and bass fishing hall-of-famer Stan Fagerstrom. As a tribute to his memory, I am reprinting it here:

On a Lake at Daylight

A friend saw me coming off the lake
He asked me what I'd caught
"Didn't have a bump this trip." I said
"And I fished in my best spot."

"If I was you, I'd quit," he smiled
But I just shook my head
My friend just didn't know, you see
There's much more to be said

Because on a lake at daylight
As dawn's light glistens on the dew
I feel the nearness of my Lord
Though the skies are gray or blue

I hear Him in the eagle's cry
And the heron's raucous call
I see Him in the rainbow
Be it summer, spring or fall

He whispers to me in the wind
Or in the softly falling rain
And I know that if I listen
He'll speak to me again

That's why before I make my first cast
I take the time to pray
To simply thank God for the chance
To be out here today

I thank Him in the name of Christ
Because as we are all aware
It was often men who fished
He sought His life on earth to share

I like to catch my share of fish
And I get them now and then
But if I do, or if I don't
I'll be back out again

If I never caught another bass
A crappie, perch or trout
I'd still be going fishin'
There's not the slightest doubt

Perhaps you find the Lord in church
Me, too, but a promise I will make
Take time to look for Him, my friend
Next time you're out here on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment