Tuesday, May 28, 2019

For the Week Ending Sunday, June 2, 2019



Tuesday, May 28 (from Tom & Ken)...As I stated last week, a long-time friend and I had plans to spend a day on the water together this week, and today was that day. The conversation was good, and the fishing wasn't bad, either. Took my friend back to one of his favorite old haunts, and he demonstrated once again why he and his partner, Joe, from the old days, used to win so many West Neck tournaments. Even though it has been a long time since Tom last fished, he basically just picked up right where he left off. Between about 7 or 7:30 and 11 a.m., he boated somewhere around a half-dozen bass, including the two nice ones shown in the accompanying photos. At 11 o'clock, a slight, unadvertised shower came up, and with Tom's health issues, we didn't want to chance any downpours. Instead, we battened everything down and headed back to West Neck. By the time we arrived there, the showers had stopped. I helped Tom load all his gear, we talked a while about some more trips together in the coming days, then shook hands, and Tom headed home, while I put in some more time fishing the upper stretches of West Neck before calling it a day about 2:30. By day's end, I had boated five keeper bass, the biggest weighing only 1-8. I don't anticipate getting out again before our next tournament this coming Saturday, other than to assist with the Fishing 4 Our Troops event at Munden Point Park on Friday.

Tuesday, May 28 (from Ray and his partner)...We fished upper Albright's all the way to the end. Tried topwater, worms, spinnerbaits, and crankbaits. Nothing was happening there, but the week before, we caught several bass in the same area. We then fished other parts of Albright's and ended up with four bass, two crappie, and a bunch of perch. No size to the perch. Worms and Rattle Trap were the best lures of the day.

Wednesday, May 29 (from Skip)...He went early, knowing that he also was going to quit early because of all the heat today. He hadn't fished very long at all 'til my cellphone belched out a text alarm. Skip had sent me a picture of a 3.8-lb. bass he just had caught. Turns out that was the only fish he boated all day. I've always said, "Give me quantity or quality, but please don't give me a skunk," and that's exactly what happened today. Would imagine by now, Skip either is taking a nap, or lying by the pool, taking advantage of a little "eyeball liberty." Some old Navy habits are hard to break, and that latter just happens to be one of them. I still remember my Navy freshwater training cruise out of NTC Great Lakes boot camp to Quebec, Canada--boy! was that ever some outstanding eyeball liberty!

No comments:

Post a Comment