Saturday, December 15, 2018

He Calls It a "Skunk Funk"



Hadn't heard from Ron in quite a spell. That changed this evening, though.

"Been outta town for two weeks," he explained. "Was looking forward to fishing again, as the ponds in Kentucky and Indiana were iced over. Made trips Dec. 1 and 2 but got skunked both times.

"Fished HRBT last night from 8 to 11 p.m and got skunked again. Weird...this has been the worst year for stripers.

"Decided to get back to my roots today. Launched at Munden Point this morning and made my way to Milldam Creek, where I fished from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The morning crossing was a hoot, as the fog had visibility down to about 50 feet. Threw everything in the arsenal, but once again, nothing would come out and play. I logged another skunk, which was rather odd, because there were a lot of baitfish moving about.

"As I was getting ready for crossing the river back to Munden Point, I heard a large boat transiting, so I decided to wait 'til it passed. Glad I did, too, 'cause the wake was huge! I listened carefully for anything else, and then fast as I could (about 4.4 mph), zipped across to the launch site. Visibility was down to about 20 feet.

"It's really been tough. Figure it can only improve."

Update: The "funk" is broken. Fished Tecumseh today (Sunday) from 1000 to about 1300. Close to noon, they started biting, or I finally found 'em. Landed three small bass to 13 inches and three slime darts (pickerel)  to 22 inches. Micro spinnerbait and XTS were the ticket. Missed one bass on the XTS but followed up with a plastic worm, and sure enough, he hit it.

Nice to avoid the skunk.  Weather was nice enough until about 1230, when the winds picked up,  then it got chilly and very choppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment