Saturday, September 9, 2017

In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Morning



The air temperature at West Neck Marina at 4 o'clock this morning was hovering around 56 degrees as I got organized for today's tournament. That reading, however, didn't deter a young man who, as I later learned, had fished from the bank all night. Neither did the reading rain on the parade of 18 anglers in 10 boats who showed up to pit their skills against one another.

These competitors weighed a total of 40 bass, for a grand total weight of 88.37 lbs. and an average weight of 2.20 lbs. per fish.

At the end of the day, the following anglers claimed pay envelopes:




(From left) Duane Kessel and Bobby Moore snatched the 1st-place prize with a five-fish limit that tipped the scales at 16.32 lbs. Bobby secured the tournament's lunker prize with a 4.93-lb. bass.





(From left) Rob Peppers and Don Carter claimed 2nd place with a five-fish limit that weighed in at 13.24 lbs. Their big fish weighed 3.25 lbs.






(From left) Chris Fretard and Mike Miller took 3rd place with a five-fish limit that went 12.68 lbs., anchored by a big fish weighing 3.33 lbs.







(From left) Bob Glass and Randy Conkle were today's mystery-weight winners. They had four fish that, after a 0.25 deduction for a dead one, totaled 7.02 lbs., which was closest to the 5.65-lb. tab that was drawn. Their big fish weighed 3.29 lbs.




Here is how the rest of the field finished the contest:

     * Any Morath and Diana Mendez weighed five bass for a total weight of 11.37 lbs. Their big fish weighed 3.11 lbs.
     * Mitch Portervint and Steve Bailey weighed five bass for a total weight of 8.64 lbs. Their big fish weighed 2.60 lbs.
     * Gary Coderre and Lenny Hall weighed five bass for a total weight of 8.01 lbs. Their big fish weighed 1.85 lbs.
     * Wayne Hayes and Al Napier weighed four bass for a total weight of 7.85 lbs. Their big fish weighed 3.34 lbs.
     * Skip Schaible weighed two bass for a total weight of 3.24 lbs. His big fish weighed 2.33 lbs.
     * Ken Testorff didn't weigh a fish.

Another angler's name was added to the list of those now eligible to fish our annual, season-ending two-day Classic. A total of 16 names are on the current list.

Congratulations to all of today's winners, and thanks to everyone who participated. For planning purposes, our next scheduled event is next Saturday, Sept. 16, from safe light to about 2:30.


Our race for Angler of the Year honors continues to heat up. Here is how things looked at the conclusion of today's contest:


(From left) Bobby Moore stood at the top with a total weight of 124.83 lbs., Duane Kessel was next with 122.46 lbs., Al Napier was next with 119.69 lbs., the team of Bob Glass and Randy Conkle was next with 116.80 lbs., and Rob Peppers was next with 114.10 lbs.


I want to close out this report on today's event with a friendly reminder to everyone that you never can be too careful when there is low water like we had today. Even though I've been fishing this river and its tributaries since 1977, I learned a new hazard today.

I had decided to quit an hour early and get set up for weigh-in, since I only had one keeper bass in the livewell. My electronics told me I had 5 feet of water under my stern, but as I nailed the throttle to run to the dock and load my boat, I slammed into an underwater object (probably a submerged stump) that put a serious bend in my prop. Fortunately, I had my spare prop with me, and my mechanic changed it for me before I came home this afternoon.

Given the day I already had had, the last thing I needed was another boating woe. I truly don't mind "taking my turn in the barrel," but as I told one friend this afternoon, I feel like I'm now taking someone else's turn, too, and it genuinely sucks. Murphy can't get off my shoulder soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment