Sunday, February 26, 2017

In the Words of the Accomplished Angler Himself

Nearly every time you see this fella, he has a fish or two--and sometimes more--in his hands. That fact alone should tell you something.

If you already have read the blog post I put up before this one, you undoubtedly recognize the fella at right as Kevin Mills, an accomplished angler who knows how to catch the big 'uns. I asked, and he graciously accepted my invitation to share the story of his day on Northwest River this past Wednesday, Feb. 22. So, here is that story, using his own words. I assure you Kevin knows how to write, because he and I both were journalists in the U.S. Navy.

"In short, it was simply the day we all go to bed dreaming about. You know the one, when the fish are doing exactly what we think they should--and they are...

"I hit my first spot that day and caught seven fish on seven casts. The first three all weighed around 4.5 lbs. The next four all went around 3.5 lbs. I figured that was it; I had a great day already, and even if I didn't catch any more, I had had fun.

"Based on where I got the first ones, I decided to run to another spot that was very similar. I fished about a 100-yard bank and caught two 4.5-lb. fish. In fact, there was a couple of guys anchored on that bank, fishing for crappie/perch, and I asked if they minded my going between them and the bank. They said to go for it, and I caught the first nice one between their boat and the bank. I went about another 20 yards and got the second one. Then I went a bit further, and that's when the 'big girl' ate my jig.

"There was no doubt when she bit. It was one of those bites that will rock your socks. I set the hook, and she didn't move. However, I immediately knew I was hooked up, as I could feel her head shake. I didn't get a good look at her until she came near the surface the first time--she was at the boat. I knew then she was a chunk, so I one-handed the rod and got the net ready. I generally don't use the net when fun fishing, but she changed my mind. The next time she came close, I grabbed the net and stabbed at her.  As you know, that's the cardinal sin of bass fishing, but I didn't want to take a chance. As luck would have it, I got her on that first try.

"When I first looked at the fish, I thought she would go 10 lbs., but when I lifted her from the net, I noticed she wasn't long enough. She was incredibly tall from her belly to her back, and from head to tail, but I didn't think she would make 10. As it turned out, she was only 23" long and weighed 9.35 lbs.! As you well know, a river fish at that length and that weight is rare indeed.

"I consider myself very, very fortunate to have tangled with her...a fish I won't soon forget. I've hooked two fish on that river in almost 20 years that were bigger but never got them in the boat.  It was a pleasure to finally land one there.  

"Overall, I figure I had 28+ lbs. in my top five last Wednesday. Again, simply a day when everything lined up. A person is well aware those days don't happen often. However, it sure is nice when things work out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment