Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Combination of Topwater Baits Does It for Me Today



With the low water, I decided to stay in West Neck, and as it turned out, that decision was OK. It seemed like more than one of us had the same idea. Rob Peppers and Dave Anderson launched just ahead of me this morning, and Skip Schaible joined us a little later this morning.

I have no clue how the day turned out for Rob and Dave; they were long gone when I arrived at the dock this afternoon. I talked to Skip, though, and learned that he caught two bass. His best of the day was the 1-3 pictured here. I had Skip's permission to make that weight read 3-1, depending on how big the fish looked in the picture.

Oh, and you might like to know, too, that my friend had his umbrella with him again today. About the time the sun got to bearing down, I happened to glance in his direction and saw him hoist the umbrella into position. He's tickled with this addition to his Nitro. How he manages to always remember not to come overhand with a cast is beyond me. I can only imagine the giant mess I'd have on my hands if I were to buy an umbrella like his.

All that aside, I fished with three different topwater baits in vastly different colors today and ended up catching fish with all of them before I called it quits about 2:45. Those baits included the INT, a popper, and a wakebait.

My totals on the day were seven bass, including four dinks, a 2-4, 2-7, and 2-15 (pictured at right). All three of these bigger fish really slammed my bait. The thought that kept running through my head as I boated each one, however, was, "Where are fish like this on tournament day when I really need them?"

I reckon it might just be a case of bad timing. It wouldn't be the first time I've had that problem, as anyone who reads this blog already knows. Maybe one of these days I'll get the whole situation all sorted out.

I plan on trying to get in one more day on the water this week, but that's going to depend on what happens with the weather. Seems like all the local forecasters still are trying to get a handle on what these weather-makers headed our way ultimately are going to do. It's that time of year when the tropics really start heating up. Until I find out what we're in for, I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment