Friday, January 15, 2016

If You Wanna "Take a Load Off," Why Not Try This?


Dura Matz is a custom-fit pad, made of neoprene padding and
marine carpet. The pad comes with multiple options. You can
place this pad over existing carpet, as seen here.
Just four months shy of turning 73, I prefer parking my behind in a seat with a back to it when I'm on the front deck of a bass boat for 8 or more hours. Meanwhile, many others, especially the young guns, would rather stand up or lean against a butt seat all day. Either way, I just learned night before last, thanks to my good buddy "Doc" Murdock, that there is some stuff on the market designed to make all of our fishing days a lot more comfortable.

You can completely customize the deck of your
boat by removing a portion or all of the existing
carpet and do your entire deck and boxes with
the Dura Matz. This provides additional
comfort while standing or kneeling.
The product I'm referring to here is padding--that's right, the same kind of stuff you get installed under the carpeting in your home but probably better. As I understand it, a lot of new boats these days already come with padding, or the buyer at least can get it. But, if you own a used boat, you, too, can enjoy the same creature comforts, whether you do it yourself or hire someone else to install it for you.

Before going any farther, please let me acknowledge I'm likely the only one who has been going around with blinders on. Padding probably has been available for a good spell. 'Twouldn't be the first time I was on the tail end of the information line. I can assure you I haven't been looking at any new boats--that ship sailed a long time ago. Besides, I'm totally happy with what I have now.

Dura Matz is custom fit around deck boxes. Additional carpet
is secured inside the box to allow for maximum stability. The
carpet is trimmed to ensure the boxes open and close easily.
This provides a custom, sleek appearance. This is optional.
That being said, however, I'd like to share the following information, which "Doc" was kind enough to hook me up with in his email night before last. I contacted the folks at Dura Matz in Cumberland City, TN, as provided in the link from "Doc," and they then granted me permission to reprint the data from their website on my blog.

The idea for Dura Matz was borne when a buddy of Jim Brewer, the man with this vision, just had purchased a brand new boat, and the deck had padding under the carpet. Jim knew this padding would make his buddy's boat more comfortable, but he wasn't about to buy a new boat just to have a padded deck.

This mat can be secured by additional Velcro along the sides.
This is optional. The carpet inside the box can be secured by
adhesives or screws, which will allow for easy removal when
needed.
"I thought about it for a while, and about 4 o'clock one morning, I told my wife I had an idea," said Jim. "After some trial and error, we invented Dura Matz. Daylight 'til dark is just fine with me," he continued; "however, my back, feet, ankles, knees, and everything else on me hurt after standing for a prolonged period of time."

Dura Matz is made with 3/8-inch neoprene anti-fatigue foam and then covered with marine carpet. "Let me tell you, once you stand on this mat, you won't want to fish without it" is Jim's challenge to all. "It's that comfortable!" he assured.

Easily secured and easily removed if
needed.
Would-be Dura Matz buyers can get a mat to fit just in front of your boat, or you can customize the entire deck, including boxes and even the back of the boat. And if you simply want a mat on the back, there's a Buddy Mat available to fill that bill, too.

For the benefit of anyone who may be interested, you can access the Dura Matz website by simply clicking on this link: http://duramatz.net/. There you will find a form you can fill out to obtain a free estimate for their products. For example, I learned that it would cost me $200 for a custom-fitting mat for the front of my Skeeter--one that would extend from the bow boxes forward. I would have to provide a template and photos. They then would make the pad and send it to me for installation.





Let's not forget about your buddy on the back of the boat. The Buddy Mat can be customized to size and design for this area, based on your needs.




Measuring 36" x 25", these Mini Mats are a quick fix for quick comfort. These mats are designed for the front or back of your boat. You decide where you want them, make a slit for your pedestal, and get set for a day of comfort. They're the ideal thing to take along when a buddy is planning to spend a day on the water with you.



If you want to get a clear picture of everything that's available on today's market in the way of padding, I urge you just to Google this phrase: "bass boat padding." Or maybe you're shopping for a new boat that already comes with it. Whatever your goal, I wish you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment