Saturday, November 28, 2015

Gorgeous Day, Nice Boat, and Good Company--What More Could You Ask For?




Anytime the man at the helm of this Ranger asks an old codger like myself to spend a day on the water with him, he doesn't have to ask twice. And so it was no surprise that, when my cellphone rang about 7:30 this morning with an invite from my long-time friend and boat mechanic, Wayne, I quickly gulped down the last of my breakfast, loaded my van, and hit the road for West Neck Marina.

I had planned to go fishing anyway but just figured it would be another day of talking to myself. I pulled up beside the ramp about 8:30 and heard Wayne motoring up the channel to get me. Five or 10 minutes later, we were headed south for Albright's. Before we got on step, though, Wayne let me know he already had caught a couple of stripers just above the West Neck Bridge while waiting for my arrival.

After spending a little while in Albright's, we ran to the Pungo Ferry Bridge, where we've had some luck in previous years. Then, it was on south to Milldam, followed by a visit to Oakum and a return to the Pungo Ferry Bridge. We then hit the grain canal and finished up the day above the bridge in West Neck.

Our efforts yielded a combined total of four stripers and three largemouth on the day--nothing of any size, however. Our bait selections today were spinnerbaits, crankbaits, chatterbaits, and an array of soft plastics. I couldn't say any one bait stood out on the day.

As we were passing what was once the old store at Capt. George's on the way back north today, we passed Jared Allbritten and Al Napier, who were fishing today's tournament out of Bob's Fishing Hole. Jared held up better than a 6-pounder for us, which, as I learned from checking the tourney results on Bob's Guestbook page this evening, helped them win 1st place. We didn't talk to anyone else to find out how they were doing.

All in all, it was a nice day. The only thing that could have made it any better would have been if we had caught a few more fish. Neither one of was complaining, though, when we came off the water about 2:30. Any day on the water is better than sitting home thinking about what might have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment