Friday, September 4, 2015

Protected Pockets Along Windblown Grass Lines Was the Key Today


It took me until 12 noon to find this pattern, which didn't leave much time to catch numbers, but I nevertheless was pleased with the final tally, because it was the best I've seen in several trips. I finished the day with three white perch and three bass, including this 1-8, which was my best of the day. The other two weighed 1-6 and 1-7.

Having gotten on the water later than I wanted, I had a very narrow window in which to try getting a topwater bite going this morning. I was armed with the froggin' rod Wayne had loaned me, so I went straight to the hollow-body frog again. On about my fifth cast, I was working the frog about 2 feet in front of a stick up when a fish blew up on the bait, but I pulled the string too early and yanked the bait away from the fish. As a result, I'm still batting .000. I may never "master" the fundamentals to become a proficient frogger, but I'm dead set on becoming good enough to at least catch an occasional fish with the hollow-body frog.

My only productive lure today was once again a white spinnerbait. I also fished the Johnson Silver Minnow, an extra shallow-running crankbait, and a Ribbit-style frog without eliciting a single strike.

In a conversation I had with Jim while we were cleaning up our boats this afternoon, I learned he basically had repeated his results of Wednesday. He boated two crappie and a striper and had a bass hooked up until it decided to dive under the boat, at which point it pulled off. The 1-8 I boated managed to first wrap around my trolling motor, but as I lifted the motor from the water, the fish unwound itself, and I swung it over the side.

With the holiday upon us, neither Jim nor I have any plans to venture out in our boats this weekend. Business at West Neck already was picking up throughout the afternoon, so I can well imagine what it'll be like out there all the way through Monday. Besides, I have a date to hold down a friend's backseat on Back Bay Monday morning, so I'll have to put together a small box for that trip. That, a couple of rods, my lifejacket, and some bottled water probably should do the trick. It's been a lot of years since I was out there, so I'm truly looking forward to this outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment