Saturday, April 11, 2015

Rod Snapped in 3 Pieces and a Lost Big Fish...


That's how my day started, but I'll provide details later. The important facts here are that we had 15 anglers in 9 boats show up for today's fourth event of the 2015 season, and we were greeted with some of the best weather we've seen to date.



This duo of (from left) Allen Napier and Al Napier claimed 1st place with a five-fish limit weighing 17.71 lbs., anchored by one weighing 4.72 lbs., which was good enough to also take big-fish honors.






Finishing in 2nd place, also with a five-fish limit, was this team of (from left) Nate Kilgore and Dave Meers. Their sack of fish weighed 12.42 lbs., with a kicker fish that tipped the scales at 3.65 lbs.







Coming in at 3rd place, again with a five-fish limit, was the team of (from left) Rob Peppers and Don Carter. Their total weight was 12.34 lbs., with a 4.32-lb. big fish.











And winner of the mystery-weight drawing was Jim Bauer, who weighed three fish totaling 4.74 lbs., which came closest to the 5.30 tab that was drawn.








Here is how the rest of the field finished today's tournament:

     * The team of Randy Conkle and Bob Glass, five fish, 10.38 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Gary Coderre, five fish, 9.60 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * The team of Chris Fretard and Mike Miller, five fish, 9.57 lbs. total weight, 4.16-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Rob Chatham and Ken Testorff, five fish, 7.62 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Steve Bailey, three fish, 3.72 lbs. total weight, no big fish.

Overall, the anglers today weighed a total of 41 bass for a total weight of 88.10 lbs. The average weight was 2.14 lbs.

For planning purposes, our next event is scheduled for Saturday, April 25, from safe light (about 6:30 a.m.) to 2:30 p.m. Registration will close at 6 a.m.

Congratulations to all of today's winners and to everyone who showed up to fish.

Before closing, let me explain the rest of the freakish incident that started my day. I just had put down all my crankbaits and the topwater I had been throwing and picked up my favorite chatterbait. I only had made a handful of casts, when I tossed the lure about halfway up a tree. As I'm yanking, my rod suddenly snaps into three sections, followed by the chatterbait falling into the water. In the process of trying to retrieve my line, I notice that a fish is running with it and set the hook, as best I can with the busted rod.

It doesn't take rocket science to quickly figure out the fish has some size, 'cause as soon as I set the hook, he starts taking drag. Now this picture gets even more screwed up. You see, when the rod snapped, both of the smaller pieces somehow managed to take one full loop around what was left of the rod in my hand. So not only am I trying to control the fish, I'm also faced with the challenge of trying to unwrap the two short pieces from the rest of the rod. Simply cranking proves to be impossible, so I start moving the fish toward me by clamping the spool with my thumb and pumping the rod toward me, then trying to reel up the slack before the fish can spit the lure. Ultimately, the fish wins this contest.

Now I'm left to chew on the reality that, not only did I lose the fish, but I can't find a replacement for the Browning Medallion 6-6 medium baitcast rod I lost. It seems Browning only makes this particular rod nowadays with a split-grip handle, instead of the nice full-length cork handle I've come to enjoy. If anyone out there has one like I lost and is willing to sell it, let me know in the next couple of days, and we might be able to work a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment