Friday, August 17, 2012

Everybody Caught Fish, But Nobody's Bragging


That pretty well describes the kind of day it was for fishin' buddies and yours truly as we went looking for bass today. A common theme was the lack of a topwater bite this morning or, as in my case, any kind of bite this morning. It was nearly four hours after I launched before I boated my first fish.

Charlie Bruggemann reported "not much of a topwater bite." He had a couple of swipes at a frog and Zara Puppy. He went through six or seven different baits, with only a Senko, beetlespin and Crystal Minnow producing most fish. He said a wake bait also netted a couple fish.

His day ended with a total of 12 bass--all less than a pound, except for two that weighed slightly more than a pound. He also caught several white perch--one just shy of a pound--and some small stripers. For fun, he chased gar on the way back to the ramp and ended up getting several of them to hit, but was only able to get one to the kayak.

In Charlie's words, "Think I'll head to Back Bay next week. My luck on Albright's seems to have petered out."

Jim Bauer caught a total of four bass in West Neck today, two of which were dinks.  The other two weighed 1-0 and 1-7. The bass fell for a Senko and a couple different topwater baits. He also bagged two bream and some crappie with a fly rod.

My day ended with a total of 12 bass but only two keepers: a 1-8 and a 1-12. I also boated four white perch and two bluegill. Most of my fish came on a firetiger Bandit Footloose and what appeared to be a sexy shad shallow Bomber crankbait. A couple bass also fell for a Tennessee shad Bandit 100. There were several swirls at different baits, and I had about four come unbuttoned on the way to the boat.

Overall, it was a lackluster day, but I've always felt like things have a way of balancing out when all is said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment