Tuesday, August 2, 2016

10 Bass in 1 Hour 45 Minutes...



That was my final tally from today's trip to Blackwater. My best four of those 10 weighed 1-3, 1-11, 1-13, and 1-14 (pictured here). Everything was caught on my INT bait between 9 a.m. and 10:45 a.m.

I also missed a few strikes, including one that I happened to see sitting under my bait and sucking it downward. Once the bait was completely under the water, I did a sweep hookset but only momentarily was connected to the fish. Can't say if I've ever witnessed the same occurrence (where I actually could see the fish sucking the bait down) in the past. If so, it doesn't ring any bells.

The bass in the accompanying photo, like a couple others I caught today, was chasing baitfish in the grass when I spotted the activity. I simply dropped my INT into the middle of things, and the rest is history.

I had planned to stay out until about 2:30 today, but at 1:05, I heard a couple rumbles of thunder off in the direction of West Neck, and by 1:06, I was en route to the dock at full throttle. My timing couldn't have been much better. I just had stowed my boat in the shed when I heard the first raindrops hitting my metal building. Some sharp lightning and thunder accompanied the rain for about 30 minutes, but then things settled into just an on and off pattern of showers.

With all the cloud cover hanging around throughout the morning, it really never warmed up until about 11:30 or 12, when the first rays of sunshine popped out. The coolness of the morning certainly was welcome, given those conditions that we've been dealing with for the past couple of weeks or so. Would like to hope it lasts a spell but seriously doubt it will.


My inbox early this morning contained an email from Ron Ameika, telling me that he had headed to West Neck Marina at 6 p.m. yesterday with his kayak and fished till dark.

Just north of the bridge, he had a few blowups on topwater; however, he had to tie on the XTS before he could get the fish to commit. The 2-10 in the accompanying photo soon followed. "Caught one more dink on the Whopper to wrap up a beautiful evening," said Ron.

"Lightning was flashing well north, temps were nice, and no bugs," he concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment