Tuesday, September 1, 2015

What's Happened to the Creek?

That's the $64,000 question a couple of friends asked me today while we all were fishing West Neck Creek. I'm not sure what the answer is. However, you easily could get the impression the sun is setting on the creek--in more ways than one, albeit only temporarily, though, I'm sure.  Hence the reason I'm using this nice photo Skip sent me here a few weeks ago.

With the serious cloud cover that existed for most of the day, along with the fact there were abundant signs fish were moving all day, I would have bet you money there would be a topwater bite. I couldn't have been more wrong, though, at least by my results. I threw two different kinds of frogs, a Bang-O-Lure, and a Buzzjet Jr. without ever getting the first strike, and that included different stretches of the main creek, as well as a couple of coves.

Ralph and his son told me they picked up three bass on topwaters this morning in one of the coves but said their bite ended just as abruptly as it began, without either one getting another hit the rest of the day on anything.

When I talked to Bob, he said he had had one good strike in a cove and set the hook on something big but never got to see what it was. "Could have just been a big grindle, as far as I know," he lamented.

I also talked to Rob P. today after he came back to West Neck from Pocaty. His comment as he came alongside for a chat was, "Nothing happening over there, so I decided to see if I could find something here." Don't know how his or Bob's day ultimately turned out. Rob already had departed when I arrived at the ramp this afternoon, and Bob still was out fishing.

I certainly can't brag about my luck because my grand total was one 12-inch bass on a white spinnerbait. Also had one fish follow my Johnson Silver Minnow to the boat. As for my Bomber Square A, let's just say it "bombed out" totally today.

The only time my adrenaline stirred (I actually about jumped out of my hide) during the whole day was when a big bird smacked the water a short ways behind my boat, trying to catch his lunch. He flew away empty-clawed, though.

The best part of my day was the discussions I had on the water with Rob and Ralph about frog fishing--they both had read my earlier blog post about the same fish I missed three times the other day. Rob gave me some tips about the type rod I should be using and when to set the hook, while Ralph shared his philosophy about using only Ribbit-type frogs. He gave me a couple of the ones he routinely uses and wished me luck. Then later this evening, I met Wayne, and he, too, passed along a tip he employs with using hollow-bodied frogs. He also loaned me a "frog rod" to test the next time I'm on the water, which likely will be Friday.

As I indicated in my original post on this topic, I do plan to master this frog fishing, regardless of how long it takes. I just hope when I finally get hold of one, it's about the same size as the one in the picture Rob showed me today. It was a big 'un, and he had swallowed the "whole enchilada." Sends shivers up and down my spine just thinking about how it would feel to get hold of Bubba on a frog.

No comments:

Post a Comment