Tuesday, November 25, 2014

All I Want for Christmas Is...

If I were to ask folks out in California to complete that headline, it seems a pretty safe bet the vast majority likely would exclaim in unison: "some rain to end our drought." And if I were to pose the same headline to folks up in New York right now, the response from most probably would be: "no more snow."

In reality, however, I asked some fellow fishermen locally to complete this headline, and while only a couple rogered up, their responses weren't what some might expect from such a group. For example, one fella said, "For my family and friends to be healthy and happy." The other one wrote back, "Real and lasting peace on earth."

And you know what? While few in number, these two fellas were anything but in the minority with the nature of their responses. Quite the contrary, actually. The sincerity expressed in their holiday wishes mirror the kind of responses I saw spread all around the Internet.

My research revealed countless numbers whose central wish was for "our troops to return home safely." As one added, "It's very hard for me to wish for trifling things for myself while our young men and women are dying on foreign soil."

A fair number also expressed hope "to keep my job for at least another year." There also was a fella who, in a similar vein, said he always wishes for "good health so I can cast for bass just one more year." This same individual told the story of a friend he once had who still was asking the good Lord for "just 10 more good years of fishing" when he died some 25 years after first making this an annual request.

In another case, I came across a man who asked nothing for himself, noting, "My wish list has been filled many times over." He went on to explain that he just had completed his first year of retirement from a great job of 41 years and, at the same time, had celebrated 10 years of good health since heart surgery. "With a great wife, two fine sons, and four terrific grandchildren, a loving church family, a pretty good old bass boat, and most of all, a loving Savior who forgives my daily sins, what more could I ask for?" he said.

I would be lying if I didn't admit I found instances where fishermen were asking for material things they typically might want. I'm happy to report, though, their numbers represented a clear minority.

In that regard, I found this statement by one thoughtful but choosing-to-remain-anonymous source online: "No doubt, we would all agree with the sentiment, 'There's more to life than things.' Yet, much of our lives seem to be spent in the acquisition, maintenance and disposal of material goods.

"Certainly, we cannot enjoy the basics of food, shelter and clothing without a concern for 'things.' The truly important things of life,  however, are those which cannot be encountered by the physical senses, purchased with money, or placed on a shelf. When we take a look at what we value most in life, we generally find family, friends, health, peace, contentment, laughter, helping others, and communion with God foremost on our list of priorities."

If that's not what Christmas, and for that matter, life in general, really is supposed to be about, I've surely been functioning under a mistaken belief for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment