Wednesday, October 1, 2014

In Search of New Water...


With the upcoming Classic, I've started looking for some new areas to fish, in case the "old reliables" let us down the weekend of Oct. 18th and 19th. This 1-9 came from my first stop downriver this morning.

A couple weeks ago, I watched a fella in a bass boat work this area all day long, which, I feel, is a pretty good indication that he was catching fish, or he would have found some place else to go. I made a mental note at the time to check the spot out for myself, and I'm glad I did. A couple more stops there should tell me whether to make it part of our Classic plan.

From here, I ran a little farther south to reacquaint myself with a stretch I haven't fished for probably 10 or more years. I picked up another fish here, so I intend to check it out a couple more times, too.

My third stop proved to be a dud today, but I may give it another look, as well, before I rule it out, 'cause I like what it has to offer.

My fourth and final stop for the day yielded six more bass, giving me a total of eight for the six-and-a-half hours I was on the water. I also picked up a white perch here and had a decent-sized striper snatch my bait and begin a run by my boat that was cut short when the hook tore out. He wouldn't have gone more than 3 or 4 lbs. but still was taking drag.

Overall, I'm satisfied with this first pre-Classic trip but won't be making any hard, fast decisions until I've checked out everything on my list.

My trip to West Neck this morning started on a hazardous note. I got behind a guy towing a Tracker aluminum rig with absolutely no lights on his trailer. Eventually, he turned off, and I never saw him again... until I was motoring away from the launch ramp.  I glanced up to see him rounding the corner, getting ready to launch, so I made it a point to get as far away from him as quickly as possible. His vehicle thankfully was gone when I came back in this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment