Saturday, June 2, 2018

There's More to Life Than Bass Fishing



You never would have known it, though, considering the enthusiasm of those 14 anglers in 10 boats who showed up today to compete for tournament pay envelopes. At day's end, the stalwarts had weighed 42 bass for a total weight of 93.88 lbs. and an average weight of 2.23 lbs. per fish.

Everyone who took home a pay envelope today fished solo, which perhaps dispels the theory you often hear that teams usually fare better in bass tournaments than single anglers. Nevertheless, here are the fellas who ended up with all the marbles:







Jim Wilder topped everyone with a five-fish limit weighing 16.32 lbs., anchored by a 4.98-lb. bass, which earned Jim the tournament lunker pot.







About three pounds back, in 2nd place, was Chris Napier, who brought another five-fish limit to the scales. His total weight was 13.33 lbs., anchored by a 3.84-lb. bass.






And back-to-back mystery-weight winner was Wayne Hayes, whose four bass tipped the scales at 6.33 lbs., which was closest to the 6.90 tab that was drawn. He didn't weigh a big fish.








Following is how the rest of the field fared in today's competition:

     * The team of Bobby Moore and Steve Bailey, five fish, 12.04 lbs. total weight, 3.50-lb. big bass.
     * The team of Rob Peppers and Dave Anderson, five fish, 11.60 lbs. total weight, 3.19-lb. big bass.
     * The team of Zack Rhodes and Eric Laufer, five fish, 10.78 lbs. total weight, 2.74-lb. big bass.
     * Gary Coderre, five fish, 10.01 lbs. total weight, 3.46-lb. big bass.
     * The team of Jim Crist and Eric Killian, four fish, 8.36 lbs. total weight, 4.15-lb. big bass.
     * Ken Testorff, four fish, 5.11 lbs. total weight, no big bass.
     * Jesse Munden didn't weigh any fish.

Three more contestants became eligible to participate in our season-ending two-day Classic. These anglers include Rob Peppers, Dave Anderson, and Ken Testorff.

Congratulations to all of the winners, and thanks to everyone who came out and gave it their best, despite the heat of the day. For planning purposes, our next scheduled event is Saturday, June 16, from safe light (about 5:30 a.m.) to weigh-in at 2 o'clock. Hope you can join us.


One Last Cast

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that I always can count on my friend, Skip, to offer a friendly barb just to keep everyone in a light mood. As usual, he came through again today in admirable fashion.

Seems Skip decided to sit out today's tourney, since he frequently suffers an adverse reaction to an all-day bright sun, coupled with all the medications he has to take on a routine basis.

When I titled today's post about our tournament results, I was thinking specifically about the email from Skip that was waiting for me when I arrived home this evening. Although I was pretty well spent, I couldn't help chuckling when I read his comment, then checked out the attached photo. Here is what he sent me:

I want you to know that, while you guys were frying, I was relaxing by the pool. Hahahaha. I hope you won! ...Skip

The way I see it, this ol' world could do with a few more people like Skip. It's when I'm at one of my low moments that he notoriously comes through with a pick-you-upper line that will turn even the sourest frown into a smile. Sincerely appreciate you, my good friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment