Monday, June 4, 2018

For the Week Ending Sunday, June 10, 2018



Monday, June 4 (from Ron)...Made an evening trip to Milldam. The water had risen a bit, so struggled to limbo under the bridge, but got out, and the bite was on. A little mud cat, crappie and white perch were interested in the Beetlespin. Bass and bowfin liked the SwimSenko. Found a dink bass, 2-6 and 4-0, as well as a favorite 20-inch bowfin. The grass is starting to come up and had to put away the XTS. Shoreline weedless SwimSenko was the ticket. Lost a few and pretty sure I had some gar strikes. Water was very clear, and the bugs were not too bad. Hopefully soon I can find some panfish for the table.

Tuesday, June 5 (from Ken)...Spent the day fishing grassy shorelines with several different baits. Ended up having six bites and five fish, including a 0-15, two 1-2s, a 1-5, and a 2-6. Three of the fish came on a SwimSenko. One fell for a chatterbait, and another went for my Japanese topwater bait. Didn't see the pools of baitfish today that were evident this past Saturday. The water temp when I left the ramp this morning showed 71 degrees. When I returned this afternoon, it was a tad better than 83. Am looking forward to at least one more trip this week; this weather is just too good to pass up.

Tuesday, June 5 (from Ron)...Tried some "new" spots, and they disappointed. Only managed a dink bass, a 1-1, and 1-2, plus a tangled-up little gar on the Beetlespin. Was a pleasant evening and only had to contend with one idiot jet skier who couldn't read the "No Wake Zone" sign. (Hey, Ron, let's not forget to add those idiot owners who hire other idiots to run their multi-million-dollar yachts up and down the North Landing every year and who also can't read. I lost track of how many of those damn jackasses I saw running the "No Wake Zone" down in the area of Pungo Ferry today on step while I fished the oxbow grassline. I've railed about this for years now--all to no avail. I'm at the point now where I'd feel a tiny amount of justice had been served if I got to see John Law stop just one of their sorry butts and fine the crap out of 'em.)


Wednesday, June 6 (from Ron)...Fished Lovitt's, off Back Bay this evening. Caught 11 dink bass, plus a 2-4. Highlight was a very healthy and pretty bowfin at 3-10 (had a really nice tail spot). An aggressive li'l white perch hit the Pop R. Except for the white perch, all hit the SwimSenko. Really like the SwimSenko, but wish they were more durable.

Thursday, June 7 (from Ken)...I heard the back stretches of Albright's calling this morning, so I hopped out of bed, grabbed my gear, and beat feet for West Neck. Glad I listened, too, cause it turned out to be a pretty decent day--both weather- and fishing-wise. Ended up with seven fish in the boat--an eighth one, however, got too rambunctious for those tiny hooks on a shallow crankbait I was using and threw the hooks as he tail-walked beside the log where I hooked him. Those seven I got to touch included three dink bass, plus a 1-9, 1-11, 2-6, and 3-2. Caught about half of them on a SwimSenko, and the others fell for the shallow crankbait I've already mentioned. Couldn't find a bite on my spinnerbait, chatterbait or Japanese topwater today, though. Even with the cooler day, water temps at about 2:30 still showed better than 80 degrees. Reckon this will be my last trip until next week, when I hope to get in one trip before the tournament on Saturday, the 16th.

Thursday, June 7 (from Skip)...What d'ya think about a guy--a friend no less--who tries to pass off the photo to the left as one of the fish he caught today? I'm tellin' ya--you gotta watch that Skip like a hawk. He's one of those dudes who'll pee on your head and try to convince you it's raining. In this case, he's simply trying to convince me this PBJ sandwich and Coke represent the fish he mistakenly tossed over the side before he remembered to take a picture of it.

Sorry, good buddy, I was only having a little fun at your expense. I, for one, am glad we have the kind of friendship that allows us to rag on each other from time to time, with absolutely no harm whatever intended or taken. What's life without a little clowning around?

All kidding aside, however, here are some of the nine fish Skip boated today on a Fluke and the "Halloween bait."

Incidentally, Skip has a pretty "kool" and "cool" new pedestal seat on the front of his boat that, in Skip's words, has stopped his fishing from being "a giant pain in the back." For two trips now, Skip says he hasn't had to take a single pain pill for his back, and that's a far cry from previous days on the water. I, for one, plan to see about getting one of these seats for my rig, too, 'cause I'll do whatever it takes to get a little relief from my spinal stenosis.

Thursday, June 7 (from Ron)...Launched Lotus Garden for an enjoyable evening trip with the kid and another friend. Caught a dink bass, plus a 1-11, 2-7, and a few small crappie and white perch on the Beetlespin. My productive lure was a SwimSenko, and the kid caught three on a Zoom Fluke (no big fish). We were both throwing weightless tight to shore and structure. Weather was great!

Friday, June 8 (from Ron)...Considered launching from Old Pungo and making a trip to Straight Creek, but then remembered it was Friday, summer and nice weather, so opted to avoid the crowds.  Launched at North Landing and did the long trip to No Name Creek. It wasn't worth the half-hour transit each way. Only caught a micro white perch and a dink bass. As I trolled my way out, though, a 3-11 catfish hit the trolled Beetlespin on the 5-ft.-long ultralight rod. Was a battle to land him and kind of fun. It's amazing how that li'l rod can get doubled over!

Friday, June 8 (from Jim B.)...It was 9:30 when I finally had a rod in my hand this morning. Water temp when I launched was 79.6 and 83.3 when I called it a day about 3:30. The water was at a good level and very dark and clear.I had high hopes for some good action, but it sure didn't turn out that way. If I hadn't messed around and caught about 15 or 20 crappie, most of which were small, you could have counted all my fish on less than one hand. Had a grand total of two super dink bass and one rowdy white perch. Caught all of them on the WP. Kept less than half the crappie. Before the day was over, I had tossed the Halloween bait, chatterbait, Japanese bait, and my old reliable worm. I did have a good fish miss the Jap bait. Had a couple taps on the worm that I am sure were bream. Stayed in the creek, mostly below the bridge.

Saturday, June 9 (from Ron)...With the gauge up over three, decided to launch Munden at 0730, before the crowds (of boats and jet skis) arrived. Headed across to Milldam and fished for a few hours. Water was very murky, and I just couldn't find a bite on plastics. Switched to a micro spinnerbait and started finding them. Problem was that there were way too many micro white perch. Lost count at about 15. I won't keep them below 11 inches and found none for the pan. A dink bass, 1-6 and 2-12 rounded out the morning.

Sunday, June 10 (from Ron)...Got a late start on Back Bay and House Cove. Launched about 11 o'clock and was hoping the clouds would block out the sun. It never happened, and the bite subsequently was non-existent. Did manage four small white perch to avoid the skunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment