Monday, April 16, 2018

Wanna Know How To Tell When You Have a Good (on Second Thought, Make That "Great") Boat Mechanic?


It's when he can set the outboard's carburetors before ever putting it in the water and listening to it run.

Go ahead and call me a liar if you want...I really don't care. I was at West Neck Marina today when Wayne Hayes did exactly what I said. I watched as he climbed into the boat alongside the catwalk (after setting the carbs), turned the key, and the outboard roared to life...and kept running...without hesitation. A tweak of the idle set later, and it was purring as good as it ever has.

To put this situation in proper perspective, consider the routine I've been dealing with since the start of the new season. I would start the boat, and for the next 15 minutes, I would have to keep bumping the choke from the key, or it would stall, and I'd have to restart. Once it finally was running without using any more choke, I could take off and run wide open with no problem. However, as soon as I stopped, the choking evolution would begin again once I wanted to move, even if the motor still was warm.

They simply don't come any better than Wayne, and I'm ever so glad I first made his acquaintance all those many years ago. I never can say enough good things on his behalf. The world definitely is a better place because of him, and I believe that wholeheartedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment