Saturday, April 21, 2018

It's Safe to Say, "The Spawn Is On!"


The reason I say that is because the 12 anglers in 9 boats who fished today's tournament out of Pungo Ferry weighed a total of 43 bass with a total weight of 121.93 lbs. and an average weight of 2.83 lbs. per fish. Also consider that the same total weight gives you an average weight of 13.54 lbs. per boat, which I consider pretty respectable.

Finishing atop the heap today were the following:




1st place, (from left) Eric Killian and Jim Crist, five-fish limit, 21.53 lbs. total weight, anchored by a big fish weighing 7.68 lbs., which also earned them the big-fish pot and puts them in the lead for the seasonal-lunker pot, as well.





2nd place, (from left) Dave Anderson and Red Bruun, five-fish limit, 17.67 lbs. total weight, anchored by a big fish weighing 5.49 lbs.










Winner of the mystery-weight drawing was Bobby Moore, who had three fish weighing 5.40 lbs., which was closest to the drawn weight of 5.60. He didn't have a big fish.
Here is how everyone else finished the competition:

     * Gary Coderre, five-fish limit, 17.56 lbs. total weight, 4.82-lb. big fish.
     * Jim Wilder, five-fish limit, 15.26 lbs. total weight, 3.85-lb. big fish.
     * Eddie Sapp, five-fish limit, 14.39 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Ken Testorff, five-fish limit, 10.48 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
     * Steve Bailey, five-fish limit, 9..82 lbs. total weight, 3.62-lb. big fish.
     * The team of Don Carter and Rob Peppers, five-fish limit, 9.82 lbs. total weight, no big fish.
  
Congrats to all of today's winners, and thanks to everyone who came out to participate. For planning purposes, our next scheduled event is one week from now, on Saturday, April 28, from safe light (about 6 a.m.) to weigh-in at 2 or 2:30.


One Last Cast

Today, like most tournament days, found me pretty well drained of all my energy. As I was leaning on the side of my boat after completion of weigh-in, trying to summon a little reserve energy, I happened to turn toward the Pungo Ferry ramp just in time to see Eddie Sapp motoring back out the channel, undoubtedly with plans to do a little more fishing.

It made me reminisce for just a moment on my younger days, when I, too, often would do the same thing. These days, however, you couldn't pay me enough to go back for seconds on a tournament day. I just want to get everything done, so I can go home and rest my weary body parts, especially my back. A day on the water really irritates my spinal stenosis.

As one grows older, you either learn your body simply can't tolerate the "abuses" of younger days, or you usually pay a severe price. You might say I have learned my limitations, even for bass fishing, something I love beyond description. I still have the heart; I just lack the stamina to stay on the water any longer than 8 hours.

There's a better than average chance the day will come when I will have to reduce my fishing days even farther. Will I be ready if/when that day comes? Probably not, if I follow the example of my dad. I watched with much sadness when Pop knew he had made his last fishing trip. I was with him at the time. It was as though a part of him died that day. I would hope God will spare me the same reality, but I know that's probably a pipe dream--at best.

Therefore, I need to work toward learning to appreciate each of these fishing days as the blessing they are, because all that any of us have for certain is today. There's no guarantee we'll see another sunrise. I, like many others, tend to forget that truth far more often than I should. Seems like it's those moments, such as the present, when I'm basically "running on fumes," that I see this truth so clearly. With God's help, however, there always is hope for making needed improvements.

No comments:

Post a Comment