Thursday, April 5, 2018

For the Week Ending Sunday, April 8, 2018



Thursday, April 5 (from Ken)...Just had to get back on the water today and see if I could find a few fish. The day started very slowly, but once I found something they'd hit, it wasn't long before I could put the nip in the air behind me and enjoy myself. At day's end, I had boated a white perch, pickerel and bowfin, plus five bass, including two dinks, a 2-0, 2-1 and 2-7. Both the 2-0 and the 2-7 came from the same spot, on back-to-back casts, no less. I caught everything on one lure, something I'm going to call "Rob's lure," since he's the one who gave it to me about a week ago. Reckon now I'm going to be looking for some spares, as well as a couple other colors, considering how well it worked today. Making my day complete was the fact I didn't see another boater the entire six hours I was on the water. The parking lot at West Neck was empty when I left this morning, as well as when I got back to the ramp this afternoon. Got a feeling that picture will all change once this weather gets straight and stays that way for a spell. Water temp when I left this morning was 50, and it had bumped up to 63 by the time I called it a day.

Friday, April 6 (from Ron)...After 17 days without wetting a line, I was desperate to get out. The high wind and high water didn't make for ideal conditions and limited my options. Decided on a trip to No Name Creek off North Landing, and that was a mistake. Didn't get a single tap while throwing crankbaits, XTS Minnow, plastics, Pop R, spinnerbaits, etc. Headed back to upper North Landing just before dark and managed one lone bass to avoid the skunk. A 2-11 hit the XTS and saved the day after three hours of effort. Really good to be back on the water, though.

Sunday, April 8 (from Ron)...Watched the wind forecast, and as it died down, decided to launch at Milldam about 5 p.m. Arrived at launch and realized I had forgotten my tackle box. Had four rods in the car: Senko, Micro-King Spinnerbait, XTS, and beetlespin. First bass was about 14 inches, and when I weighed him, realized my scale was broken. Pressed on and caught six dinks (between 11 and 14 inches), 12-inch crappie, 13-inch chain pickerel, and a nice fat 20-inch bass that I am conservatively guessing at 4-0. The Micro-King Spinnerbait was the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment