Friday, February 2, 2018

Little Things Mean a Lot


That's the title of a tune that, back in 1954, hit the No. 1 spot on both the U.S. Billboard and Cash Box charts. More importantly, though, it also signals the way I thought of fellow angler Duane Kessel. Here's why I say that.

From the earliest record I could find of when Duane started fishing the Dewey Mullins Tribute Bass Tourney Series (now Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tourney Series), which was July 14, 2012, one thing stood out for me. It was that, each tournament morning before he ever left dockside to go fishing, Duane would have Dewey come over and lay a hand on his Winner bass boat.

I was a little puzzled by this ritual, so I finally asked Dewey one day what the significance was for it. He explained that, while earlier employed at Princess Anne Marine, he had rigged the Winner that Duane drove. The "laying on of hands," generally speaking, was Duane's idea of a "good luck charm," of sorts.

For me, the ritual demonstrated a side of Duane I never would have gotten from just looking at and/or talking to him.

And then came this past tourney season, when Duane and his newfound tournament partner, Bobby Moore, became two of several anglers vying for 2017 Angler of the Year honors. As the end of the regular tournaments approached, Bobby was leading Duane by about two pounds. "But if they were fishing as partners, how could they have had a different total weight?" you may be asking. The short explanation is that each had fished an earlier tournament or two in a solo status.

With only two or three tourneys on the schedule remaining, I sat down with both anglers and reminded Duane that the only way he would have a chance to finish as 2017 AOY, or perhaps to share the honor with Bobby, is if he were to break away and fish solo at least once more before the season ended.

The response I got was without any hesitation whatever. Duane said he and Bobby were going to finish the season together--and they did. His actual words went something like this: "I wouldn't do that to Bobby--or anyone, for that matter. Friendship means more to me than any awards."

These two "little thing" incidents made me realize that, under that rugged persona of Duane's, beat the heart of a gentler man than most (in my opinion) probably ever would think possible, especially at first glance. He truly was one of "the good guys," and he's going to be missed--not just for this coming tournament season but forever.


For the benefit of those who couldn't make the memorial service today (Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018) for Duane, following are the links for the opening and closing musical pieces (in that order) that were played at the service:

Frank Sinatra, My Way, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljrFQyE1hAg

Vince Gill, Go Rest High on That Mountain, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXrmAKBBTU

As I've already said once, "Rest in peace, my brother."

No comments:

Post a Comment