Tuesday, February 20, 2018

For Week Ending Sunday, Feb. 25, 2018


Tuesday, Feb. 20 (from Ron)...After four days off the water, I went for a therapy session at the "Milldam Clinic." Got a prescription of mood-altering therapy. Started with a nice 2-5 bass, followed by two dinks just under a pound apiece. Also boated a small crappie and white perch before I found the first serious pole-bender of the season: a 7-lb 14-ounce bowfin! Made my day. Couldn't have asked for a better outing. All now is right in the world. Didn't mark a single fish in the main or feeder creeks. Water was clear and about 60 degrees. Caught all fish while casting to shoreline and points on the XTS. Not a single tap on the trolled beetlespins.

Wednesday, Feb. 21 (from Ken)...My first trip to the water each season always causes me certain fears, and today was no exception. Nevertheless, I was up before dawn, getting dressed, and gathering my tackle, with hopes of catching a few fish before the end of the day. Decided to change my plan when I arrived at West Neck Marina this morning and saw the muddy conditions, along with a bunch more trees that Steve has taken down in recent days. Figured this would be a good time to go check out the new ramp at Pungo Ferry. Don't know how anyone else feels, but I personally give the new ramp two thumps up. Have never had my boat slide off my trailer with such ease before. That being said, I decided to try Albright's today and ended up fishing my way from the mouth to a fair distance in the back. Lost the first fish I hit on a point with a cranakbait. He came unbuttoned beside the boat, without my ever getting a look at what he was. A good while later, I finally boated a small yellow perch, also on a crankbait. Not long after that, I was cranking another point with a chatterbait, when all of a sudden, the shaking stopped, and I set the hook on something that had a little weight but didn't feel like a fish, and I was right. What I lifted out of the water was an old, dirty beer can that the chatterbait hook and my line had entwined. Once I had untangled everything and was ready to toss the beer can in the bottom of my boat, I saw some kind of movement near the can's pop top. Close inspection revealed a little baitfish that was too big to slip out of the hole (check it out in my accompanying photos). I carefully enlarged the hole just a tad, and the happy little baitfish flipped out on my deck. I immediately picked him up and dropped him back in the water, where he wasted no time taking off. Near the end of my day, while still working the chatterbait, I had a solid hookup with what turned out to be one of Ron's favorite fish: a bowfin (about 4 lbs. worth). I quickly unhooked him, then wrapped up my gear, and headed for Pungo Ferry. Bottom line: The day wasn't anything to write home about, but I dodged a skunk and had a little fun, too.

Wednesday, Feb. 21 (from Ron)...Fished Tecumseh in search of bass and maybe some taco fare. Found both and a few surprises, too! Was trolling an XTS minnow lure and thought I had hooked into a 10-lb. bass. Turned out to be a 4-lb. 7-oz. channel cat. Few minutes later, got another 4-pounder and quickly got out of that area! Super PITA trying to manhandle those slimy buggers. Bass came in at 2-8 and 1-8, along with eight crappie (with three throwbacks). Keepers were 11 to 12.5 inches. Also caught a white perch. Tacos are in the dinner menu! Didn't find any bass trolling. Instead, caught them while casting to cypress trees and structure. Crappie fell to beetlespins and a small feather-jig head, with a worm-like plastic trailer about 2 inches long. Bugs came out at sunset,  and the frogs were making a bunch of noise. Spring here, maybe?

Thursday, Feb. 22 (from Ron)...Took a long trip this evening from Blackwater Trading Post out near North Landing. Got a 1-8 on the XTS and then, after a long lull, tried a Senko and found three dinks and a 1-1, all holding close to structure. Trolling back, snagged a small crappie and white perch on the XTS. Then had a serious pole-bending drag screamer, which I thought might be an early-season gar, but when I got him Yak-side, it turned out to be a big ol' blue catfish. Struggled for 10 minutes, trying to lip-grip him to no avail. Couldn't get a hold of him, and he finally threw the XTS. My guess is he would have been in the high teens for weight and maybe 30 inches long. Note to self: You have a net; bring it!

Friday, Feb. 23 (from Ron)...Went in search of bowfin or striper but found neither. Marked a whole bunch of bait and what may have been carp or catfish on the finder. While throwing the XTS close to structure, I managed a dink and an oddly shaped 2-6 bass. Not the best outing, but no skunk.

Saturday, Feb. 24 (from Ron)...Fished the oxbow south of the Pungo Ferry bridge. Was windier than forecast. Caught two dinks and a 1-13. Supposed to be windy again tomorrow, ugh....

Sunday, Feb. 25 (from Ron)...As the wind died down and the rain clouds seemed less likely, went out for an evening trip to upper North Landing in search of bowfin from 4 o'clock 'til dark. Water was high and still and not moving either way, so I knew it would be tough. Managed one odd-shaped dink bass to avoid the skunk. Seem to be in a slump. Can only get better, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment