Tuesday, December 5, 2017

If Not for Better Ratings, Then What?


As I watched the local TV weatherman last evening, I couldn't help thinking that the station must be going through some kind of ratings period. I say that because, for several days now, this guy has been talking about weather predictions 10 days or more out, whereas he usually just discusses weather projections for the next couple of days. And last night, he was using all kinds of lines, colors and you-name-it, hinting that we could be in for some dastardly (my word, not his) conditions for the next week and a half, perhaps even including some snow and/or mixed precipitation before all is said and done.

This morning, I decided to compare what he has been saying with what The Weather Channel is predicting, and about the only similarity I could find was in the temperatures we can expect the next 10 days or so. There are several occasions when our daily highs are supposed to top off in the 40s.  Granted, that's colder than I like to see on the high end, but that's what it was when I hit the water yesterday morning, and I didn't suffer while I waited for the thermometer to climb into the 50s. Just don't see why the weatherman is making a fuss.

However, I'll bet you there will be those "warm weather" bass fishermen who probably will run to get their boats winterized and tucked away, along with their rods and reels, until the spring thaw. It's not necessarily that they believe you can't catch fish when the mercury starts falling--most of 'em know better. Rather, it's just that they have a hard time believing the anticipated rewards justify the extra effort that will be required of them. After all, the reminders are everywhere about how the metabolism and, hence, the feeding mood of fish dwindles once the water temperature reaches the upper 40s.

This slowdown, however, won't make a bit of difference to a lot of anglers. Here are links to some examples that prove it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUfipILwQWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vans7T9ukc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3K1roUxw8k

No comments:

Post a Comment