Tuesday, October 3, 2017

To Each His/Her Own


"Getting older and less agile every year, I'm reluctant to have several thousand dollars' worth of rods laying where I might inadvertently step on one. To me, the few extra minutes it might take to retie or dig another rig out of the rod locker is worth not having to worry about stepping on a rod or reel handle."

Those are the feelings of one senior angler I read about recently. I also found another older angler who blamed having too many rods on the front deck for his falling overboard. Of course, this fella also admitted he had bad knees and back, which didn't help the situation any.

I, for one, can relate to the way both those anglers feel. I, too, like a clean front deck. That's why I had a bow-mounted fishfinder removed from my current boat soon after I bought it. I kept tripping over the unit anytime I stood up for a break and got tired of having to grab for the front-pedestal seat to steady myself. And continuing my drive for keeping things simple, my front deck seldom has more than four rods on it at any one given time.

That's not to say, however, that everyone should limit the number of rods they keep at arm's length to just four. I understand why other fishermen, especially the pros, prefer a whole deck full of sticks. They like the option of having quick access to different length rods, with different actions, kinds of line, line strengths, etc.--all the variables that allow for the various styles of presentation.

In some cases, though, the "wannabes" do it simply because they see the pros doing it.

As one guy remarked, "When you see most pros, who fish for a living, have 10 to 20 rods on deck, it means they have found utility for that (setup), and it's not just for looks or sales. When the best fishermen in the world show me that it's no longer needed to get dialed in, then I will rethink my position."

The power of advertisement and the need/want to be a copycat is truly a fascinating study.

Said one angler I came across during my research, "There was a time when I, too, had setups with whatever baits I had been told would guarantee a boatload of bass within easy reach. I not only had the baits but the 'look' that screamed, 'Look at me. I not only know, but I look the part.' I stayed this way during my mid-20s through my mid-30s, 'thinking' I was just a few more baits/fancy gadgets away from figuring it all out...and hitting the big time.

"A solitary trip with my son, however, changed my fishing for life," the insightful angler continued. I always will believe when you have little folks and/or beginners on board, you should keep it simple and make absolutely sure they catch fish. My son didn't care about the latest and greatest, and comfort was far more important than style. The simplicity of a cricket and bobber and the smile/exuberance of my son that particular day brought back memories of a time when fishing was simple, fun, and what drew me to the water in the first place: to chase those majestic green fish."

That same angler went on to admit that "through many more years of transformation and experimentation, I found what works for me." And while there are days now when he has six setups at his feet, there are more times he doesn't even think about what he might need to catch fish. He just goes through a progression of baits he knows works for him and lets the rest sort itself out.

"On average, I have four setups at the ready, and as the day goes on, I usually put one away... . I make do with one simple tenant: I want to catch fish and have fun. If you fish long enough, you tend to realize that most every decision you make comes from a lifetime of experience," he concluded.

Regardless of how many rods it takes to satisfy your personal desires and/or to make you look and feel like one of those guys you see on TV, there's always someone who can and often will "rub your face in it." Consider the following example I found during my research.

An angler was taking an old friend fishing--one who couldn't get up early because of some health issues he had. They arrived at the lake around 9 a.m. on a bright, sunny day, and each then proceeded to take two rods out of the box and lay them on deck--one for worms, and one for jigs. Said the younger gent, "The spawn is on, so you don't need a lot of different rods and reels."

After launching their boat, the younger gent was parking his vehicle when a couple other fellas with a shiny 21-foot bass boat launched. More than 20 rods lined the deck, which prompted the younger gent to ask, "Doing some major-league fishing today, huh?"

"Can't catch 'em if you don't have the right stuff!" shot back the owner of the 21-footer.

The younger gent and his older friend then idled out to a rock pile about 20 yards away, put down the trolling motor, and started fishing, while the other duo was trying to figure out what to start with. "Your secret spot?" they asked from the distance, laughing.

In short order, the young gent and his friend both had boated bass, with the other fellas watching. And before the latter duo had gotten their rods sorted out, the younger gent and his friend has boated a total of seven bass, all weighing between 3 and 4 lbs., and all from that rock pile.

By this time, the only thing coming from the fellas in the 21-footer was silence, proving only that "actions speak louder than words." Whether "more is better," however, remains a matter of conjecture.



Don't think for one minute that bass boaters are the only ones with a knack for keeping multiple rods "at the ready." Check out the way this canoe owner rigged his pride and joy. He readily admits that he'd rather put down one rod and pick up another than have to retie to change baits.

"In my paddlin' canoe," he boasts, "I can carry 10 rods--the one in my hands and nine in the rack, all ready to go."

Note in the far left frame above that all the rod tips are below the small foredeck and rails, where they cannot be snagged by brush or weeds. As for that cart you see in the middle and far right frames, the owner uses it when he can't get his truck close enough. The cart folds flat, and according to the owner, "rolls easily over most terrain."

'Twould seem there are no bounds to Yankee ingenuity.

No comments:

Post a Comment