Wednesday, August 2, 2017

For the Week Ending Sunday, Aug. 6, 2017



Wednesday, Aug. 2 (from Ken)...It was a day of 5s. Three of us went out of West Neck today, and each of us caught a total of five bass. Said my friend, Gary, "I probably would have won mystery weight with my five if there had been a tournament." Skip told me his biggest was a tad over 2 lbs., but the other four were dinks. My five included two dinks, plus a 1-10, 2-3, and 2-13. Caught all of my fish on a wakebait before 1 o'clock. After that, the bite seemed to die completely. I continued mixing the wakebait with a worm and a crankbait but couldn't muster a single strike. I boated all my fish in West Neck, having fished both sides of the bridge. With a tournament scheduled for this coming Saturday, I have no plans for another practice day this week.

Wednesday, Aug. 2 (from Skip)...Just received Skip's report for Wednesday, along with some photos of his fish and boat umbrella. That's right, folks, my friend likes the shade and plenty of it, when he's out there on the water this time of year. All you have to do to find Skip anytime between July and August is to look for that familiar blue and white umbrella. It stands out like a beacon, especially on a bright day. In any event, as I mentioned in my earlier post, he caught a total of five bass, his biggest a 2.1-pounder.

Thursday, Aug. 3 (from Ray)...Fished the upper and lower West Neck today. Caught three dinks and lost two others on topwater baits. Still don't understand how a fish can throw a lure with two treble hooks. Also caught a half-dozen perch and bluegill, which were small. Water temperature was 81/84 and fairly clear. Yum Dinger, spinnerbait and crankbaits were the lures of the day. Spoke to another fisherman, and he said the size of his catch also was small.

Friday, Aug. 4 (from Ron)...Returned today and headed out to Old Pungo Ferry Road. Forgot that a Friday evening would see too many boats and people. Headed to Spitzle Creek for some solitude, which I found, but not many bass. Only found two dinks and a 2-4. Lost more than I landed. Whopper Plopper and Zoom Fluke were working for me. Good to be back on the water.

Saturday, Aug. 5 (from Ron)...Tried Back Bay this morning. Launch was OK, but then about 8 a.m., the wind got bad. The water was super murky, and the bite was nonexistent.  Alex caught two dinks, and I managed a 1-7 right about 10 a.m., when we called it quits.

No comments:

Post a Comment