Saturday, May 13, 2017

Small in Numbers But Big in Enthusiasm...Despite the Nasty Weather



I'm talking, of course, about the fact we only had six boats and 11 anglers on hand for today's tournament out of Pungo Ferry, vice the usual West Neck Marina. Workmen were continuing repairs to the boat ramp at the latter site.

All boats weighed five-fish limits today, starting with the following winners:









1st Place, Gary Coderre, 13.56 lbs. total weight, 4.02-lb. big fish.







2nd Place, (from left) Mike Speedy and Stephen Hardwick, 12.45 lbs. total weight, 4.50-lb. big fish (today's lunker).






Mystery Weight winners, (from left) Duane Kessel and Bobby Moore, 9.70 lbs. total weight (closest to the drawn weight of 7.20), no big fish.







Here is how everyone else finished today's competition:

     * Paul Celentano and Paul Higgins, 11.51 lbs. total weight, 2.93-lb. big fish.
     * Wayne Hayes and Al Napier, 10.28 lbs. total weight, 2.95-lb. big fish.
     * Skip Schaible and Ken Testorff, 10.05 lbs. total weight, 3.56-lb. big fish.

Congrats to all the winners and thanks to everyone who came out to participate. For planning purposes, our next scheduled event is Saturday, May 27. I also have rescheduled a make-up tournament (for the one I cancelled on 4/29). The new date is Saturday, June 17. Start time for all events is safe light. The current weigh-in time is 3 p.m.


For a good while now, I've been hearing different anglers talking about the fish they are catching with the Whopper Plopper. Today, I got a firsthand demonstration at just how quickly this lure can change a person's or team's fortunes.

Somewhere around mid-morning, Skip and I were fishing along, trying to provide some company for the two bass in the livewell at the time, when all of a sudden, I see a nice bass inhale Skip's WP. I just had removed the hooks, put a culling clip in the fish's mouth, and tossed it in the livewell, when I hear another huge blowup from the same spot and look up to see Skip once again set the hooks on a nice bass. On two casts, he had put two more fish in the livewell and added between 5.5 and 6 lbs. to our total weight.

Once again, Skip swung the boat around for a third pass in the same area, but, lo, a third fish wasn't in the cards. Nevertheless, I congratulated him on the "clinic" he just had put on for my benefit. I think I almost was as excited as Skip, when all I really did was to net the fish for him.

The way I see it, nothing compares to a topwater bite. Still gives me an adrenaline rush, just thinking about those two bass Skip caught on the WP this morning. Way to go! my friend. And thanks for the ride.

While I'm passing out thanks, let me also give a big pat on the back to those "younger" ones among us for helping the "older" ones launch and recover boats and hold the weigh-in. You don't know how much we codgers appreciate your energy and strength. Makes me mighty proud to be part of an enthusiastic group dedicated to the principles of teamwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment