Saturday, April 22, 2017

A Sure Way to Jinx a Fishing Trip: Take Bananas With You



Paul Celentano and his partner, Josh Whittinger, did exactly that today. As a result, they were the only boat in the field of 12, with 20 participating anglers, to finish the day with less than a limit. Overall, competitors boated a total of 58 bass, for a total weight of 144.70 lbs. and an average weight of 2.49 lbs.

Here's a look at those who were standing tall this afternoon when pay envelopes were passed out:





In 1st place was this team of (from left) Matt Hemple and Mike Speedy, who caught a limit weighing 14.13 lbs. after a 0.25 deduction for one dead fish. Their big fish weighed 3.50 lbs.





Claiming 2nd place was this team of (from left) Skip Schaible and Mitch Portervint, who caught a limit weighing 13.27 lbs. after a 0.25 deduction for one dead fish. They also had the lunker, with a fish weighing 4.39 lbs.




Finishing in 3rd place was this team of (from left) Gary Coderre and Lenny Hall, who caught a limit weighing 12.73 lbs. Their big fish weighed 3.10 lbs.



Walking away with the mystery-weight prize was this team of (from left) Zack Rhodes and Joseph Bussuvanno, who caught a limit weighing 9.75 lbs., which was closest to the drawn weight of 7.85 lbs. Their big fish weighed 2.77 lbs.



The rest of the field finished as follows:

     * Ronnie McLaughlin, five fish, 12.32 lbs., 2.94-lb big fish.
     * Ken Testorff, five fish, 12.17 lbs., 3.46-lb. big fish.
     * Jim Wilder, five fish, 11.77 lbs., no big fish.
     * David Dozier and Nelson Anderson, five fish, 10.57 lbs., no big fish.
     * Bob Glass and Randy Conkle, five fish, 10.52 lbs. (after 0.25 deduction for dead fish), no big fish.
     * Steve Bailey, five fish, 10.36 lbs. (after 0.25 deduction for dead fish), 3.38-lb. big fish.
     * Duane Kessel and Bobby Moore, five fish, 10.21 lbs. (after 0.25 deduction for dead fish), no big fish.
     * Paul Celentano and Josh Whittinger, three fish, 4.58 lbs., no big fish.

Congratulations to all the winners and thanks to everyone who came out today. For planning purposes, our next scheduled tournament is next Saturday, April 29, from safe light to 3 p.m., or as announced that day. I hope you can and will join us.


I felt pretty certain today's contest would produce some good totals, and I have to say I was anything but disappointed. Speaking for myself, it indeed was pleasant to have a day in which I felt fish most of the time I was on the water. I can't recall the last time I boated a total of 10 bass during a day's fishing. Sure made up for some of the disappointments I've experienced for a long spell now.

My productive baits today were a modified Senko and the "whopper popper." I overheard several of the fellas mention they caught most of their fish on worms, too. However, I didn't experience the problem with gut-hooked fish that several had.

I saw about three small snakes today, none of which elicited my interest as much as the young fox I saw standing in my neighbor's yard, or the herd of young deer (a dozen of more) I saw standing near Landstown High School en route to West Neck this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment