Thursday, March 16, 2017

Will It Be Another Record-Setting Season Opener?


That's one of two--actually, make that three--pressing questions on my mind at the moment. The other two are as follows: Will there be enough water to launch the tournament in the wee hours Saturday, March 18? And last but not necessarily least: When am I going to get over this @#$%!!! "dog rot" I've been battling all week long? By the way, did I mention that I hate a cold?

Getting back to the original question in the title of this post, though, here are the numbers 21 anglers in 14 boats put up on March 19 last year. They weighed a total of 59 bass for a grand-total of 143.29 pounds. The previous record was 140.18 lbs., set back on Aug. 23, 2014, by 25 anglers in 16 boats. The most significant fact about last year's new record is the fact the competitors did it with 16 fewer fish than they caught in 2014. That's right: It took 75 bass to amass that 140.18-lb. mark.

Here are the winning bags from last year:

     *1st Place - 20.39 lbs., caught by Mark London and John Goodman. Mark also weighed the lunker at 7.14 lbs.
     * 2nd Place - 15.66 lbs., caught by Rob Peppers. His big fish weighed 4.06 lbs.
     * 3rd Place - 12.91 lbs., caught by Gary Coderre and Lenny Hall. Their kicker weighed 3.14 lbs.

It's anyone's guess how this year's contest will turn out, but it appears we will have about the same number of anglers as last year. There's also a big question mark about whether we will have enough water to launch. An even bigger question mark, however, hangs over my head as to when this "dog rot" will release its hold on me. I truly hate having to sit out a season opener but don't reckon I have much choice this time.

Oh well, here's wishing everyone Tight Lines! Hope they all catch a big 'un for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment