Thursday, October 20, 2016

Healthy, Chubby Bass Just Can't Get Enough of the Whopper Plopper


All I can say is, WOW!!! when I keep reading about Ron and his son's fishin' exploits with Larry Dahlberg's Whopper Plopper. I give them a lot of credit for seemingly having the right touch, while I continue to flounder with the same bait every time I throw it.

And, it's not just me, either. I watched my partner, Rob, experience my kind of luck with it during our weekend tournament. For lack of a better way of putting it, "He simply couldn't buy a strike with the bait." He probably would have had better luck using a tin can with a baited hook dangling from it--and that's no exaggeration.

However, I digress.

Getting back to Ron and his son--they went to a base lake again last evening and did OK (and that's putting it mildly) for themselves. Alex caught the nice 3-1 pictured above on a Craw, then hit a slump.

Ron, on the other hand, hit a couple of dinks, supported by a 2-3, 2-5, 2-7, and 2-8 (pictured here)--all on the Whopper Plopper, and all before a chill set in just as it was getting dark. "I also lost a big bass--I'm guessing in the 5-lb. range--as sometimes happens," he said  "I also had two large gar make an attack, but luckily, they didn't get hooked up and chew up my bait." All of Ron's bass were in the 16-to-17-inch range, and they were all healthy and chubby.

"A great time of year to be on the river, if only the level would drop and open up some more opportunities," he noted, adding, "it's tough getting out after work this time of year, but six fish in just over an hour is something I'll take any day."

No comments:

Post a Comment