Thursday, September 1, 2016

Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor a Sore Thumb Can Stop This Kayaker



I'm talking, of course, about none other than my friend, Ron. Even though the thought had crossed my mind that he might not have gotten on the water tonight, I have to admit I wasn't too surprised when I saw his email hit my inbox a few minutes ago.

"Saw a break in the evening storms and headed to Back Bay with a friend," he said. "The bite was off a bit tonight," he acknowledged, but that didn't stop him from catching a respectable number of fish between 1830 and darkness.

"I managed to catch a 1-0, 1-9, and the 2-1 bass pictured above right," he explained, "along with a small white perch (see bottom right) and a decent 12-inch crappie (pictured left) to fry up with yesterday's four white perch," he continued.

The crappie was a first on the Whopper Plopper. The same bait accounted for all Ron's other fish, except the 1-0 bass, which fell for a Yum Dinger (Senko-type worm). Meanwhile, his friend caught nine bass, up to 2 lbs. even--again on the Whopper Plopper. Rounding out the evening's activity were a few big wakes, misses and some lost fish, as usual. 

"Compared to last night, I saw very little 'activity,'" said Ron, "and the bite seemed to match the lack of action, as compared to what I witnessed last night. Could have been the weather, barometric pressure--who knows? September still started decently enough."

"Oh, and did I tell you my thumb is sore?" he concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment