Saturday, September 24, 2016

Day Proves Surprising in a Couple of Ways



When I left home for the marina this morning, I would have bet that we would see a lot of floaters today and, too, that it would be a tough fishing day for everyone. As it turned out, though, I was wrong on both counts. Maybe it's just that the 19 anglers in 12 boats who showed up to fish today are all better than I thought they were. If that's the case, I sincerely apologize to one and all for selling you short.

Today's money winners included the following competitors:




Taking 1st place was the team of (from left) Mike Miller and Chris Fretard. They brought a limit of five bass to the scales with a total weight of 13.39 lbs. Their catch was anchored by Mike's lunker of the day, a nice 5.32-pounder.





Walking away with 2nd place was this team of (from left) Bobby Moore and Duane Kessel. They, too, had a limit, with a total weight of 13.13 lbs. Their big fish weighed 3.88 lbs. 'Twould seem Bobby's new boat is bringing this duo some good luck.




Going home in 3rd place today was the team of (from left) Don Carter and Rob Peppers. Their limit weighed in at 12.48 lbs., buoyed by a big fish weighing 2.60 lbs.







The mystery-weight winner today was yours truly. My two dinks weighed a whole 1.97 lbs., which was closest to the 4.25 tab that was drawn.








Here is how all the other contestants finished the day:

     * The team of Randy Conkle and Bob Glass, five bass, 10.91 lbs. total weight after 0.25 deduction for one dead fish, 3.32-lb. big bass.
     * The team of Wayne Hayes and Sean Vitovich, five bass, 10.38 lbs. total weight, 3.97-lb. big bass.
     * The team of Jim Sumrell and Cathy Brandt, five bass, 9.30 lbs. total weight, 2.59-lb. big bass.
     * Jim Wilder, five bass, 8.83 lbs. total weight, 2.16-lb. big bass.
     * Gary Coderre, five bass, 6.95 lbs. total weight after 0.25 deduction for one dead fish, no big bass.
     * Skip Schaible, Eddie Sapp, and the team of Mike Speedy and Stephen Hardwick didn't weigh any fish.

Overall, today's anglers weighed a total of 42 bass for a total weight of 87.84 lbs. The average weight was 2.09 lbs.

Four more anglers joined the ranks of those qualified to fish our season-ending two-day Classic on Oct. 15th and 16th.

Congrats to all the winners and thanks to everyone who came out to participate. For planning purposes, our last regularly scheduled tournament of the current season is next Saturday, Oct. 1st. We will fish from safe light (probably about 6:40 or 6:45 a.m.) to weigh-in at 3 o'clock. I hope you can join us.


In actuality, I was one of only a handful who found the fishing tough today. Then, about an hour and a half before weigh-in, I happened across Dave, the same fella who introduced me to my INT bait.

We chatted for a couple of minutes, during which time I learned that he had caught a limit this morning. He told me what he had been using (in general terms only), and I soon decided to try it for myself.

Don't you know I immediately started getting strikes. The truth of the matter, though, is that, as usual, my hookset timing sucked, and I only ended up boating one fish on the bait he had shared with me today. If I had connected with all the strikes I had, however, I would have had a limit. In fact, I would have been culling fish before I had to head back for weigh-in.

Dave is fast becoming my "E. F. Hutton" guy--surely you remember those old TV commercials that used to go like this: "When E. F. Hutton talks, people listen."

No comments:

Post a Comment