Thursday, August 25, 2016

To Each His/Her Own When It Comes to a "Favorite" Fish



Like fishermen everywhere, Ron is susceptible to forgetting something every once in a while when he's packing for a fishing trip. Such was the case this evening, when he forgot the peddle drive for his kayak.

As a result, his planned trip south to Spitzle Creek became a paddling trip over to Albright's, where he spent two hours before finding any action. He first caught a dink on the Whopper Plopper.

About a half-hour later, he landed a "nice 4-lb. bowfin (see right)," to borrow his words. "That fish took five distinct swipes at the Plopper," said Ron. "I just kept reeling steady and slow, and he finally nailed it."

"Yep, I learned a long time ago that, when I get multiple strikes with no hookup, I’m likely dealing with one of those toothy critters," I responded. "Unlike you, though," I continued, "I get my mess back to the boat as fast as possible and make another cast. If I never was to catch another bowfin, I’d be perfectly content."

Ron quickly came back to me, saying, "Bowfin are my favorite. If that was all I caught, I would be happy. Bigger, nastier, the better!"

Before ending his series of e-mails, Ron noted that the southwestern corner was loaded with gar playing around on the surface. "I avoid them because I don't want to risk a Whopper and the $$$ I spend for each one on a gar. I always see them in that area," he concluded.

My final note to Ron explained Dewey Mullins' method for dealing with gar. He always told me I should break out a crankbait anytime I saw them working an area. "Choose a crankbait that'll get down under 'em, because that's where the bass will be hanging out." I spent many a time trying to prove that method to be true but quite frankly never was able to do so. The problem, however, likely was with me, not with what Dewey had told me. He certainly was right about so many other things over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment